post-surgery problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by toum112, Aug 19, 2009.

1. toum112

toum112 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    Boston/Maryland
    Hey everyone,

First-time poster here. I was wondering if you all could help me out. This summer, I got all four of my wisdom teeth removed. Procedure went great, I healed quickly, and feel fine now. After taking off the mandatory few weeks from playing to recover. Before the surgery, the upper limit of my range was a high D or so. However, after having recuperated for about a month, I still struggle to get past an A. I don't think that I'm just out of practice, since I'm fine in all other aspects. Is it possible that, when my wisdom teeth were removed, that the new "structure" of my mouth changed the airflow, making it harder to get into the upper register? Or could it be another problem?

Tom

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Tom!

It is hard to say--the rule of thumb is that we need about one day to recover for everyday off, however if we put in plenty of practice before it can be like a savings account that we can draw from. Range and endurance are the things we would most expect to lose with time off. Have you been patient enough with yourself? If not, keep plugging away for another week or so and see if there is some noticable improvement.

Good luck!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trauma is something that cannot be measured in pain or plasma.

Additionally, 2 weeks off means 2 months to have a similar "feeling" with your face. Your playing will get better quicker, it just won't feel right.