Posthorn Solo

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by tpter1, Jan 20, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    How much rubato do you use on this solo? Do you feel it in 2 or 6? The excerpt I have has the dotted quarter at 60, but when I play it there, it feels too fast.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear T 1,

I thank you for asking this question as it is an important one we haven't talked about so far.

I have gone through a bit of a transformation regarding my thinking about this solo as a result of two events I experienced.

The first was a set of performances with pour former MD, Eiji Oue, who felt that my interpretation was too relaxed, too comfortable. He came up with a Japanese expression that had to do with sitting in a warm bath and the lack that one would have want to want to leave a nice, cushy situation such as that. He had me play a little faster than I was accustomed to and I found that I enjoyed leading the phrases where I wanted to more. It semed more like a folk song rather than a long recitative. That's it, I think. It has over time become a recitative instead of an aria.

Therefore, I think of it in a two, reminiscent of the second movement of the Haydn concerto, a few clicks of the metronome either way, naturally.

The other experience has to do with an old, pirated recording of the Philharmonic with Mitropulous conducting. The solo is so fast you wouldn't believe it. Yet, the player made a good case for that interpretation. Don't know if it was Johny Ware. It certainly would not have been Vacchiano.

Now you're all going to ask what horn, right?

I have played it on an old Alexander D rotary outfitted with one of Jack Holland's pitch finder gizmos. In this, I put in a flugelhorn mouthpiece and a bag over the bell if it's not distant enough.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

ML

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- Thanks. To have a player of your calibre and experience available to ask questions to (and get answers!) is priceless beyond compare. A folk song...it really has that feel. I'll try it.

4. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    This has nothing to do with the discussion but I was wondering. Is it just me or does Tpter 1's avatar look like Gandalf playing the flute?! I imagine him sitting in with Jethro Tull. "Snot is running down his nose!"

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    THE ANGRY FLUTE

ML

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Well, I have been called "Thick as a Brick", but, "My G-d", I don't have "greasy fingers smearing very shabby clothes"! :D

7. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Manny,

I hear you talk about these "pitch finders" what are they...i cant seem to find them anywhere...

Thanks,
    Steve

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Steve,

When I was playing my Schilke S22 C trumpet I had the typical intonation problems that were the standard at the time for all horns. A fellow named Jack Holland invented a nifty litle device that enabled you to manipulate the tuning slide from a "zero" position in and out to raise and lower the pitch as you needed. Obviously, the tuning slide had to be relapped a bit to make it mobile before the device was put on. It was called the "pitch Finder" and was sold along with a record that demonstrated just intonation examples.

I outfitted my C trumpet and my little Alexander D with it and the orchestra rotaries which were Monkes at that time. It worked well but I'm glad I don't need it anymore. I don't know if someone else has taken over the patent as Jack died many years ago, unfortunately.

Jack was the solo cornetist with the Jack Daniels Silver Cornet Band and also played trumpet in the Puerto Rico Symphony for a time. He was a fine player and soloist.

ML

9. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks manny,

Its a funny thing...the more i post and read here...the more i think you are john wayne...its the first image to come to mind at mention of your name.

Hahahaha

10. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Yeah, Manny does look great wearing a cowboy hat.

Not too sure about what guns he is packing though.............

:oops: