Potassium For Nerves / Performance Anxiety

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by orchtrpt, Apr 29, 2004.

1. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    I have always heard something about eating a bunch of bananas before an audition / performance and it will calm you down. The other day I heard someone say that it is because there is potassium in them. So I figure why not buy a thing of potassium pills. That way I don't need to eat 10 bananas. So I bought a bottle and it says it is good for helping your blood pressure or something like that.

Aren't Beta Blockers a Blood Pressure medication. So maybe there is something too this. has anyone tried taking potassium before? comments? Maybe potassium is natures beta blocker :?:

2. darthtrumpet

darthtrumpet New Friend

Mar 3, 2004
    Bill Lucas in Detroit also talks about eating bananas before an audition. It's a good fruit. I think you might be on to something about the potassium thing. Plus Lucas was into the texture thing as well-soft food on your chops. It's a calming thing. Better than munching on like all-bran granola bars or something. Go platanos.

3. ChasStarr

ChasStarr Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    I'd be careful taking K tablets. If your kidneys don't work quite as well as they should and don't clear the K like they are supposed to, you could run into some potentially serious health consequences.

4. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    What do you mean "k" tablet. So it is dangerous to pop a couple of these things?

5. ChasStarr

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    Sorry, I guess that's what comes from being in the medical field for so long. K is the chemical symbol for potassium. (K)potassium is one of the bodies electrolytes that interacts with muscle tissue. In particular, the conduction of the electrical impulses of cardiac muscle. In normal individuals taking a couple potassium tablets probably won't do any harm, but in those people who have a kidney dysfunction where they don't clear substances like they should there is a possibility of a potassium buildup. If potassium increases to abnormal levels, there are possibilities of cardiac rhythmic dysfunction.

All that being said, it's very unlikely the tablets would do you any harm, but I would make sure the kidneys are working fine.

Everything that can be said to be good for you has a limit to where if you take too much, or your body can't metabolize it like it's supposed to you can overdose. You ought to hear about the cases of water intoxication that I've seen. But, thats another story.

6. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Ok I get it. So Chass seeing as how you are medical field can you see any benefit to taking potassium tablets or eating a bunch of bananas before an audition or performance to help with performance anxiety. What does this do to the body that would help with this kind of thing. I noticed on my potassium container it said something about helps regulate blood pressure. I know beta blockers are for people with heart problems or blood pressure. I think? So what can you tell me. thanks

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't know much about eating bananas or taking potassium before an audition, but I have also heard that if you can discipline yourself to cut out your caffeine intake and to stop consuming processed and simple sugars (white bread, rice, potatoes, that sort of thing) that you won’t have much of a problem with nerves.

I don’t know if this means anything or not, but I know that the US Army shooting team doesn’t eat white bread at all because of how it affects their accuracy.

8. ChasStarr

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    Orchtrpt,

There have been recent studies that show that potassium has shown the ability to lower blood pressure. The greatest decreases have been shown to occur in patients who are hypertensive to begin with. With normal blood pressure considered to be 120/80 those who are hypertensive and on K supplements or diets rich in K showed a decrease in BP of about
    2-4/1-2 with normal patients showing a decrease of 1-2/0.5-1.

As far as popping a couple of tabs before an audition; I don't think it would cause a normal individual (kidney wise) any problems as potassium is cleared by the kidneys very rapidly so there is no extreme bloodstream buildup. Whether there is any benefit to calm oneself before an audition or performance, who knows? The placebo affect can be a very strong force. As George Constanza once told Jerry Seinfeld: "it's not a lie if you believe it"! :lol:

As far as eating excessive amounts of bananas go; bananas, although very high in potassium, it is also very high in sucrose (fruit sugars) and has a very fast effect on raising blood sugar. So if your one of those who gets sugar jittery, it's probably not the way to go.