Poulenc Gloria

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by cornetguy, Jan 12, 2006.

1. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I start rehearsals for a program with the Poulenc Gloria on it. Any one out there ever play this. What are the parts like?

2. Bikephan

Bikephan New Friend

Sep 22, 2005
    Central Missouri
    Vulgano Brother and True Tone like this.
  3. cornetguy

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Thank you for the info and the links to the parts. After listening to recording I was thinking Eb or D and seeing the part confirms it.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I've performed this a couple times. You need a good solid centered high B on your C trumpet. That starts the piece. Practice your french etudes and play lightly with clear articulation. You'll have a blast!

True Tone likes this.
  5. cornetguy

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Had first rehearsal on Thursday night. I tried it on the D trumpet it works really well on it, particularly since the group is on the smallish size and need to hold back a bit. I find it is easier to hold back on the smaller horns then on the larger. Now to improve intonation on the D trumpet. Oh well that is what the tuner and piano is for.

True Tone likes this.
  6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Cornetguy,

Try a series of shallower mouthpieces. Yes, the sound is a little brighter but it'll still be in character and I think the pitch will be better overall.

ML

True Tone likes this.
  7. cornetguy

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Well the performances are this weekend. I am playing it with Exultate for those of you in the twin cities, it is in the papers today.

The choir is only 80 so did wind up putting some of the high parts on piccolo for better accuracy, the rest on the d with better intonation.

The program is all Poulenc, art songs, the principal clarinet is doing 2 movements of the sonata and the three princpal brass players (includes me) are doing the trio,

True Tone likes this.
  8. bftrumpet

bftrumpet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    I had the pleasure of playing this piece at a large church in the Bahamas with the University of Miami Symphony Orchestra and the Bahamian Natonal Youth Choir (with soloists from the Bahamas and UM faculty). Some of the ends of phrases are still ringing in there and the performances were about six years ago! :D

For you equipment freaks, I used a Bach 239 C trumpet with a 25S leadpipe. Not as big of a sound as the 229/25H and it really worked well for Poulenc. Probably a Bach 1C or 1 1/2C mouthpiece.

Hope all went well with the performance.

Ben Fairfield

True Tone likes this.
  9. cornetguy

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Performances went well. We did three of them, Friday was really good Sat was acceptable and Sunday was the best of all. Part of what I think brought down Saturday was performing in a church that the audience hears well, but we cant hear each other at all.

My wife was in the choir this is the first time we have performed a choral work together since 1992. (she is usually in MN Chorale, but with the Chorale schedule and the piece on the program she did the festival chorus Exultate enlarges every year to do a bigger piece)

True Tone likes this.
  10. Jbrowne

Jbrowne New Friend

Apr 13, 2013
    Does anyone have the second trumpet part to this piece? I downloaded the ones earlier in the post. Thank you for that by the way!!