Poulenc Trio?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackD, Nov 7, 2005.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hi Manny,

I'm currently playing the Poulenc Trio with a few friends from college, and while it's a great piece, I'm struggling a little with some of the delicate high passages. The pp slower melody in the first movement in particular I find pretty tricky after what comes before it, and the second movement is similar (having to return to the melody after the accompaniment figures I find tricky).

Any tips?

Oh, and I'm doing it on Bb since I don't own a C (damn it!)

Cheers,

Jack

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Not to worry. Harry Glantz, the great trumpeter from Toscanini's NBC used to play it on the Bb as well. Abbedd provided us with a link to his site when he used to post here.

Jack, when it comes to the high, delicate stuff it's the overcompression that does us in. Therefore, here's a fun thing to try: next time you practice the piece, release a little air from the sides of mouthpiece just before you sound the note. Play a variety of things inthe soft, upper register like that and get used to the idea of letting the notes float out rather than squeezed out. Also, release that little joint that holds together the skull and jawbone. That relieves much of this problem. The more you practice this sport of thing, the more you can do it in performance without thinking about all things physical.

Nice to see you around, buddy, it's been a while.

ML

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Thanks Manny, that's very helpful. I've been really really busy with college, and don't have internet in my room, so I don't have so much time to post as I did. That said I still read the forums pretty much every day.

Cheers!

Jack

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, my friend, that's likely a good thing, right? Oh, and get this: apparently, on the summer festival tour we're doing, they've added Petrushka to the repertoire but only in Edinboro. I guess they're sick of everybody and his mother dragging Mahler 5th on tour there. Sadly, I also found out we're going to be in London for one night! Crapola!

ML

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    That's a shame, will you still have time to visit Leigh & co?

Shame you're not doing Mahler 5 and Petrushka in London in the same concert, now that would be fun to watch!