Power Sessions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, Jan 22, 2009.

1. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sometimes I do not have alot of time during the week to blow.....

Sometimes when I get home from work I have maybe 30 to 45 minutes to put in on the horn. It seems as if once I get done with warming up, there isn't a whole lot of time left. Does any have any power session points. Something that would allow me to get in a good practice, but fit that time frame.

I am not trying to skirt practicing. On the week ends I practice 2+ hours a day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.......

2. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    A couple of approaches that MAY work for you.

1. Do a little bit of everything each day (scales, tonguing, flexibility, etudes, sight reading, music etc.)

2. Alternate what you do from day to day so you get more time on each area.

3. Vary your warmups.

Try not to rush through anything as that's where bad habits will develop. Try to concentrate on quality practicing. Find those exercises that give you the most benefit and toss the ones that don't.

Good luck,
    Garry\

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I combine exercises to do 2 or 3 things at once. Example, a long tone exercise that incorporates Breathing, cold starts, tonguing, slurring, and all keys. Since I developed it myself It's not printed out anywhere. Sure saves a lot of time. A major scale routine that covers all keys, tonguing, slurring, arpeggios and range work.Takes about 5 minutes each, then I move on.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  4. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Buzz in the car

5. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    Buzzing in the car would be my suggestion too, but I have also noticed that a lot of people here seem to believe that needing a warmup is just a mindset that you have to lose. I'm not sure what I think of it, but it may be something to look in to.

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I buzz in the car and it is great way to get some extra practice in. I almost took it in to the Doctor's office but then I thought it might be too annoying for some to handle so I left it in the car!

I can tell you this much shorten your warm-up!!! A long warm-up period should not be needed and is not a good sign. The more energy and time you waste on warming up the less you have for the real practice. I am sure you do not want to make a habit of practiceing to warm up? A warm up should take about 5-10 minutes top's then you should be into your practice session. I know not everyone agree's with me on this but that is how I see it. People waste a boat load of time with long extended worthless make it up as you go warm-up that do nothing to improve or maintain their skill level. Assumeing your mouth piece and trumpet did not come out of a deep freeze your muscles in the face are about as warm as they need to be after probably not much more then two minutes of buzzing the rest of that time is for you to get the horn and mouth piece up to temp and to get your brain in gear! If you brain is not engaugeing in "Music" mode fairly quickly I suspect that you are either not resting enough at night or you are fatigued from work and need to unwind for a little bit before you touch your ax! I am a amster at Nuromuscular training and mental training. Assumeing you have done the work already and are skilled then the problem is almost always in the mind and normaly stress level or sleep is the issue. We can work around that sometimes with say 5-10 minutes or deep relaxation excersie prior to enguageing our brain and body usualy this will temp. allow your mind and body to work better together inspite of the stress or lack of sleep etc......

7. Norm Nyary

Norm Nyary New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    Biloxi, MS
    Warm ups are such a personal thing. I have found that I don't require a long warm up - just about a minute of long tones to warm the lips and get the buzz going, then about a minute of scales including all the notes below the staff. I am warmed up. Then I go on to lip slurs for building embouchure, scale studies, etudes, transposing, and whatever my teacher has assigned.

On the road back after a 48 year layoff.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Buzzing is not practice. I do not even consider it a close replacement. I get more "power" out of the pencil trick in the car than buzzing. When I was on the road a lot, I had a 8 foot piece of garden hose with a funnel on one end and a mouthpiece on the other. I had a cassette with all of the baroque trumpet solos in C major. My lap didn't end up spit on either............ THAT built chops!

9. Norm Nyary

Norm Nyary New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    Biloxi, MS
    Rowuk, your last post had me lol. I had mental picture of you driving while buzzing in your garden hose. Did you ever get pulled over by the law? Oh, how did you determine that 8 feet was the proper length of your "buzz hose instrument", trial and error? Please give us more details of this amazing new practice device, mouthpiece and funnel size. Please don't be offended, but you got my creative juices flowing. Good one.

Norm