Power!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reedy, May 11, 2010.

1. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    "the rhythmic razors edge ready to slit the juglars of any out of groove note"......I like that!!:cool:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that I have run into more talented lead jerks than nice guys. We all eventually discover that ensemble playing is not a democracy. The lead player does have a job to shape every brass section riff. If they are truly qualified, you live with it.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Time to toss the good 'ol Vulgano "RAY OF POWER" into the ring again:

The finicky thing about air is that, yeah, we must learn the mechanics but then forget about them, because under the stress of performance, as tension sets in, our bodies will lie to us, and it will feel like we're moving huge amounts of air, breathing deeply and supporting when in fact, we are not!

For this reason, I rely on some Vulgano Voodoo and the RAY OF POWER. It involves the Root Chakra, which is located directly at the base of the spine, also known as the coccyx. The chakras have their own mystic qualities, I guess. I don't know for sure, but they do seem to be located in parts of the body where bunches of nerves meet. (The Vulgano version is situated half way between the places we do our number one and number two in the restroom.)

In practice and in theory, imagine (and feel) a ray of some sort (red is the most common mystic color associated with the root chakra) shooting down into the ground while playing. For high notes, imagine (and feel) a more intense ray. If we practice this sitting in a chair, we can notice all kinds of muscles come into play, which happen to be the same muscles used to "support" the air stream. By taking attention off of the mechanics and experiencing the mysterious, magical and not yet patented RAY OF POWER we can avoid some of the tension involved in "trying hard."

Nothing mysterious and magical here really, but the RAY OF POWER does permit me to play with a relaxed but working body.

4. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    thanks for all the responses guys, the thing is i dont want a lead players annoying attitude of oh im better than everyone! i know im really not and ive got a long way to go, i dont think thats the problem, i dont think my prjection is the problem either when im playing in jazz i can hear myself very well, and i can keep that power up most of the time its just after long phrases it starts to go, maybe im overblowing to start with and it tires me out, im not sure, im just gonna have to keep practising! ive been trying to use the high gear low gear over the last few months and i dont think thats making much difference to be honist, i played with a very open appiture lastnight and still got 99% of the top notes :D so might stick with that for a bit and see how that goes......

5. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    do you use muscles or just imagine the ray?

what about muscles around belly button, I heard that helps too

6. Back at it

Back at it Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2010
    Western, NY
    forget about belly button, expand chest, "ray of power" is great. Be forwarned, if you do it right and had a bean burrito for lunch you will be floating some air buscuits while you play!

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Rowuk sez:
    "The lead player is the rhythmic razors edge ready to slit the juglars of any out of groove note"
    --------------
    Jim Morrison isn't dead, he's hanging out in Germany disguised as a trumpet player.

8. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc

Although there are certainly those who fit this profile you mention... for our OP, it should not be desirous - or the real point of what he needs to consider when thinking about lead playing. It is still the musical leadership.. yes, dictatorial...but musical. Doesn't mean you have to be a jerk outside of that. Confident...you bet. Jerk...no.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The thing that I've found with leaders and musical genius is that the blend does not tolerate mediocrity and/or foolishness very well.
    While its true I'm no genius (just ask my wife), I do play the lead when I'm with a group and I expect people to bring their "A" game.
    I tell the trumpet section to imagine that Doc Severensen is setting beside them when they play. One of the quickest ways to piss me off is to come to a gig or rehersal unprepared or not focused.

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    [
    ...listen to good examples of playing by those who came before you and are models of the style and sound you desire. ]

What he said. You will be programming your mind for style, phrasing, sound, and articulation.