Powerlung?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Oct 25, 2006.

1. alex81

alex81 New Friend

Jul 3, 2005
    I purchased a lowerlung two years ago and used it religiously for the next year. At first I noticed an improvement in my playing. As I gradually increased the resistance dial I noticed some bad habits creeping into my trumpet playing...small air pockets would build up under my upper lip between the mouthpiece and nose.

I believe this is a result over blowing caused by the powerlung. It is a great tool for strengthening the muscles required for inhale and exhale...however the amount of effort required for the exhale does not match that of the trumpet. The bore size of the powerlung and the bore size of a mouthpiece are COMPLETELY different. I would encourage people to compare the powerlung mouthpiece and a trumpet moutpiece before ever trying out the device. The center of the blow is actually blocked on the powerlung forcing you to blow around it. If anything this is where I think that the greatest intensity of air speed should be directed.

Personally I prefer the breathing excercises addressed in the Stamp book. If you are looking to increase your air speed on the exhale, try the excercise where you "blow great gusts of air" into the leadpipe. This has the same benefit of a powerlung and seems to help me to focus my air stream a little better. It'll also save you $80.

2. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel

Just to clear this up a bit, I asked the lung surgeon of whom I mentioned in my previous post if my lungs will increase at my age and he said this: "I have taken lungs out of patients who were well over 80 years old and the remaining lung naturally gets larger because it is being used more; so, if the lungs of an 80 year old person will increase then your lungs will increase also if you use them more."

Let me add this as well. He mentioned that he was amazed at how big the lungs get in a trumpet player compared to other people who do not play the trumpet. He said that he when he was doing a lung removal of a trumpet player, the surgery was very difficult because of the patients problem and if this particular person did not have such large lungs, he would not have survived the surgery.

Keep tootin,

Liad Bar-EL

3. krossum

krossum Piano User

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY, USA
    slightly off topic...

Does anyone know where I can get a Spirometer with a capacity over 5 liters?

-Kelly

4. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I believe it points out somewhere in Mr. Jacob's writing or one of his master classes that a 10 year old child can easily generate the required pounds per square inch of air pressure needed for a high C on the trumpet, so things like the power lung I don't see as being that useful.

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I am always a little leery of stuff like that. I like whoever said air is free, I always ask my students, "How much does it cost to fill up your lungs with air?"When they say nothing, my reply is why are you breathing like it's costing you money. Or I just stand in front of them and yell, "Breath, dammit!"
    I have one of those ping pong ball thingys (incentive spirometers, I like that) though if I bring it to school the kids think it's a bong. I also have a six liter bag to measure capacity, I've never gotten it all the way full, but I haven't fallen off much in the last ten years. Maybe five and a half liters was my max at one point, maybe five now.

Michael McLaughlin

Philosophy is like trying to open a safe with a combination lock: each little adjustment of the dials seems to achieve nothing, only when everything is in place does the door open.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein

6. Ktrompetta

Ktrompetta New Friend

Feb 23, 2009
    I believe that the powerlung is great for increasing lung capacity and breath control. However musicians should be VERY careful. I started using it the past 2 weeks and was using it alot right before playing because it made my sound much bigger and playing felt much easier. However, I injured my 2 bottom lip muscles really badly from using it too much at first and using too high of resistance. I currently have 2 pulled muscles and will need to take a few days off. I still believe in the powerlung but urge musicians to be very careful as the added resistance will engage your lower corners, especially on the exhale and could lead to an injury like I have now.

7. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    If you wanna play the trumpet better, just play the trumpet - couldn t agree more with the surgeon xDI go swimming 3 times a week also, that helps with the air volume capacity increase, but yeah, just play the trumpet :D One doesn't need any gadgets that would so called help the breathing, just breathe :D

8. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Maybe it's just me, but that's not a trumpet, and if you want better breathing technique with the trumpet, that's where you should practice breathing. Seems to me like tools like that would just make a person over think and maybe overwork on breathing. Breathing is probably much simpler than trumpet players make it out to be. Just my two cents.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The main idea is to REDUCE tension. Trumpet should not be made to be more work than it is.

Success is measured in months and years (ask anyone who quit smoking......). Even if you notice a difference right away, it does not mean that you are on any road except the one to "different". If you can hurt yourself with the exercizes, then it is not good for trumpet.

Quality playing is accomplished with BRAINPOWER not powerlung. I know of no shortcut to intelligent or common sense!

10. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Rowuk, why do you have to make so much sense all the time?