pp Attacks in the morning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by commakozzi, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Gee--do you think he might have stolen it from me? :cool:

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I use G in the staff... he says his goal is to have me be able to do this exercise on the G, low F# and then High C... I've got a ways to go before I get there though...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    VB, we are talking about pp attacks not pooh-pooh. It is merely a question of anatomy..........

4. Jeff23

Jeff23 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    Brewerton, NY
    Lip bends! Definitely start with the 'pooh' attack to focus the lips and air stream. If you are starting on G in the staff, 'pooh' attack G, then bend down to F# without touching the valves, then bend back up to G. Take your time and do it without worrying about note length. Listen to the sound when you bend back up to G. Find the most centered pitch and stay with it. There will be a point when the horn seems to play itself. That is where you are working together with the horn rather than fighting it. Doing this first thing in the morning will give you the feel and sound. Try to stick with this feel and sound the rest of the day. Also maybe you could consider less free lip buzzing. Too much (which isn't long) can cause stiffness in the lips and a wider aperture than you may be looking for. Good luck!

5. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    VB,

I thought he was one of your students. :)

Roy

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For pp attacks I recomend the Vulgano Brother Wonder-Wizz-Wa-Wa Mute. Good projection and interesting effects.

For those having difficulty with pooh-pooh attacks I recomend the Vulgano Brother Thunder-Bubble Mute. It can be used stopped or open.

These are not yet available to the public, but if anyone has about $5 million in venture capital, I'll be happy to design prototypes!

7. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    ...I'll help :D...along with 50% of the procedes