Practice after an intense week?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Aug 31, 2012.

1. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Been spending the past four days at the Opera House rehearsing and performing and last weekend I played for 16 of the 48 hours. Should I rest my lip for a day or just do less (intense) practice?

GijsVis likes this.
  2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Rest a day, or play some pedal tones or long tones in the lower of middle register. If your lips don't feel like playing, don't play, try it tomorrow. And I would avoid playing in the high registers for the most

mctrumpet98 likes this.
  3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I suggest massaging and icing the lips a day, then some quiet tones the following.

mctrumpet98 likes this.
  4. mctrumpet98

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Thanks for that guys!

I ended up doing the first page of Arban's at 60bpm which took about 20 minutes, then I did about the same amount time on chromatic flexibilities. It got me working hard, but it was a good break from all the regular stuff and it still helped my playing!

++rep to both of you!

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Way to go mctrumpet98. It sounds like you deserve a bit of R&R. Advice above is sound.

6. mctrumpet98

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Thanks patkins! What's R&R?

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Hey Mark buddy --- can you explain QUIET tones?? are they the tones we can't hear when we play????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

sssshhhh - be very quiet -- the trumpet player is attempting to play a concerto using only QUIET TONES!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

Hey what did the flute player say -- when she could hear her flute????? Mark the trumpet player is utilizing QUIET TONES!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    R&R is rest and relaxation.

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Lol sorry for being so late about responding..
    rofl trumpets aren't ever truly quiet -- just play at around a mp, something that's comfortable and but soft enough to help refocus.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course -- I was pretty sure, I knew what you meant --- but I couldn't pass up an opportunity for humor(humour) ROFL ROFL ROFL
    that is better than my thoughts about R & R ( I thought that meant Rock n Roll) after all this site involves music!! Or if I thought about going fishing it would be "ROD and REEL", but it is a musical site, so I should have thought about the CONTEXT of the post ----- about the intense week ,then perhaps, i would have come to the conclusion that it meant --- Rest and relaxation!!!!