Practice after an intense week?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm curious though. If you play at a level where you're playing the Opera House, playing that extensively, etc. why do you think taking a little bit of a break will somehow diminish your playing? Do you think your skills are that fragile? (My guess would be no ones are that fragile especially professionals like yourself) Do you honestly think playing a couple of the easier (for your level) Arban pages has any real benefit? I liken it to a marathon runner who just ran a race, maybe preceded by some heavy training. Then after the race worrying that if she takes a day off her running will suffer, so she takes a short slow walk around the block. I'd ask her the same thing.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't let Patkins fool you... R&R is Rip and Roar. Don't take a day off. Keep the momentum going. Use massage and ice after playing, before bed, (in bed: massage with your significant other); then when you wake up in the am, massage. Massage again just before your NEXT days practice. But no days off... if you want a vacation, take more time in bed meassaging your significant other!!

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Taking a day off may or may not hurt. If my friend misses a day, he loses a two weeks, if I miss a day...well I miss a day and usually come back the same or stronger. That being said, I have a set "Sunday" practice (because it just happens that way) that is specifically designed for tough days. I do it the day after any gig, performance, or "smash fest workout."

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Wow. And all along I thought R&R meant retching and raving. I've obviously been missing something.:-P
    But seriously, I know this goes against the grain of many of the honorable members here, but I'm of the school that feels it's OK to take a day off now and again. If anything, I fiind my playing improves after leaving my horn(s) in the case for a day.:D