Practice and performance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ruslhahj, Apr 15, 2018.

1. ruslhahj

ruslhahj New Friend

Jan 15, 2008
    North Carolina
    My thoughts are that I should practice on the horn I plan to perform. I have "bounced" between two horns, but I'm thinking that the nuances of each horn can affect my performance. Welcoming the experts.......

Dennis78 likes this.
  2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I only worry about practicing on the horn that I will be playing when I play something other than my Bb or C. The contra-alto, Eb/D and picc require a change of technique, and without practicing on those horns I will not be prepared for a performance. Other than that I just play whatever is handy. Right now my Recording is on a stand in my practice room, next week it will probably be one of my Strads or even my cornet--doesn't seem to result in any performance problems.

BigDub and Brassman64 like this.
  3. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    I sometimes practice for particularly challenging stuff on a high quality horn that is still just a bit harder to p,ay the particular challenge on than the one I intend to use. But the last couple days, always the one I will use.

Brassman64 likes this.
  4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't know about the experts. But for me, I practice on the equipment I use for performances. So I spend about 50%-75% of my daily routine on my main trumpet. I spend most of the rest of the time on flugelhorn. I also spend some practice time with various mute combinations (especially Harmon, cup, and plunger).

Mike

Brassman64 and Dennis78 like this.
  5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Practice, rehearse, and perform with the same instrument. Consistency will keep unwelcome surprises from negatively affecting your playing. The idea is to make music, not challenge yourself to adjust, especially during a performance, to variable equipment. The stage is not the place to experiment nor to introduce characteristics that can detract from the performance. Suppose the sound you practiced with is not the sound that works well in the ensemble setting. You must interact harmoniously with the rest of the group; it's not just about you; it's also about how and where you fit in. What if you get a cold just prior to a performance? Wanna fight your symptoms and contend with a less familiar instrument at the same time, while your energy is low?

Feel free to be familiar with your other instruments in case your primary one fails for some reason (count on Murphy's Law to provide you with motivation to counteract). Be familiar enough to know how to adjust the way you play the alternate equipment to compensate when this happens. Notice that I said "when', not "if". Be prepared.

6. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    My experience in this is lengthy, I find that different instruments have subtly different tonal responses and different mouthpieces are affected the same.

I find that while I sound good on any instrument my tonal rendition improves with face time on the instrument.

In order to perform my very best demands that I practice extensively on the instrument I perform on and working on tone formation delivers the goods.

Having said all that audiences don't seem to notice the subtle improvements to tone that I notice.

To play your best I recommend face time almost exclusively on the performance instrument.

Brassman64 likes this.
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It does not matter. Your playing hygiene is far more critical than the hardware. I have always played a lot of different instruments and that kept me used to switching.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe bouncing between two horns can "color" your performance which I believe is and effect, but for me I bounce between my flugelhorn and trumpet when I play, and that does not "inhibit" my playing performance on either horn.

9. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    In my humble opinion, this saying is very apropos.
    Don't change horses mid stream.
    The consequences speak for themselves.