Practice at Work

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark B, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    My work situation recently changed. I still work at the same place, but have been put on salary, which means I now get a full hour for lunch. Problem is, I've gotten so accustomed to a half hour lunch that I get bored with myself. I'm not much of a TV watcher and while I do like to read, I haven't been able to get into that, either.

I'm thinking it's a prime time to get some horn work in. I know there are some of you that practice in your car at work and I'd be interested in hearing your take on making the most effecient use of this time. My first thought was Clarke's Technical Studies. Just start at the beginning and work my way on through. I already have a copy of Arban's, so I could work some exercises in that, too.

To be clear, this is NOT intended to replace my nightly practice as prescribed by my teacher. This would be purely supplemental work. How do you get the most out of about a half hour of practice time?

Thanks!

Mark

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Before my retirement I would get to work about 7:30 am to avoid the traffic holdups and to get 1/2 hr practice before the staff arrived, I dont think it matters what you play as long as you get quality time, I played mostly scales and intervals FWIW.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    I try to practice in the office over lunch or early evening as much as possible. I use a silent brass mute and close the door. I work on endurance and flexibility stuff mostly. So I'll play scales, arpeggios, lip slurs, and long tones. Even a solid 15 minutes of that can give me good workout, and if I can get 30, so much the better.

Like you, I try to make sure that isn't the ONLY practice I get, but it lets me do some of the less-fun stuff there so I can enjoy playing etudes and practicing music when I'm at home and can play open.

Scatmanblues

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    About half of my practicing during the week is at work. Sometimes in my car. Sometime in one of the on-call rooms with a practice mute. I don't work on anything special or different when I practice at work. I just work on my regular routine.

5. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    I could certainly do the Silent Brass thing in my office. I was thinking more in terms of going out to the car, but that might not be a viable option when it's a hundred and messed up outside. On nice days, though, that could be cool. The only down side would be putting up with the crap from my coworkers. Of course, they'd get tired of that soon enough. I think next week, I may give it a shot. I could easily enough leave one of my horns there, along with the silent brass setup.

That's a good thought on doing the mundane stuff there.

Thanks for the input.

Mark

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I purchased a Carol Pocket Trumpet the other month to use at work. It's much more portable, and easier to play in my car.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Jupiter pocket and a Bach practice mute and you can practice in the privacy of you vehicle with NO ONE bothering you! You WILL get stares but it's a small price to pay to get better! I just do routine stuff. If I took my Arbans book to work with me, the missus would be mighty suspicious.:D

8. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have a long commute to work (45 Min to 1.25 hours). I keep a mouthpiece in the truck and will put on the Haydn Concerto in Eb on the stereo and "play" along as I sit in traffic. I feel like I get a pretty good work out and I continue to cement the muscle memory. I sometimes put on Maynard for fun. :)

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I practice before work in a basement storage room in the parking deck. Some of my coworkers know about it and they think it's pretty cool. I tried the car once but it just didn't work out.

Tom

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I walk two blocks to use a practice room at a local private not-for-profit music school - costs $50/year and I can play unmuted.

Long tones, scales, arpeggios, enclosures (approaching the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th of jazz scales from either side diatonically and chromatically). Also Willey's book of modal variations on Clarkes 2nd.

Then a 10 - 15 minutes on music. I try for a 45 minute session with a couple of 5 minutes rest periods.