Practice at Work

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark B, Jan 21, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm jealous!

2. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    I could probably wring 45 minutes of practice from my lunch if I stayed in my office.

I actually did give some thought to buying a pocket trumpet to play in the car, but now is not the time. Given that my trumpet collection has expanded from one to four plus a cornet in a matter of a few months, there has been increased murmuring about obsessive compulsive behavior around my house.:dontknow: I don't know where that's coming from; I can justify each and every horn. I can also justify each and every bicycle in the garage, both fully functional and frames/parts. So, I think this OC talk is pure nonsense.

I think next week, the Reynolds will go to work with me along with the silent brass. When my lunchtime comes, I will close my door and work on my assigned technical studies along with some Clarke exercises. I should easily get 30-45 minutes worth of work and still have time for some lunch. On days I'm just not feeling it, I will go for a walk, or do something other than sitting around.

Thanks for all the great input, I appreciate it!

Mark

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't be concerned about OCD. That's really a poor diagnosis, whoever :roll: described it that way. You have to watch out for N+1 syndrome. N means whatever horn(s) you have now, +1 means you need just one more. Some posters have horns running into the triple digits!!! I am only in the mid to upper teens (I think :dontknow:). Enjoy your practice time! :thumbsup:

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Like TrumpetMD, the first practice session is always at work (about an hour). I use this to do all the annoying (to my family) exercises like long tones. At night when I am at home, I do the Clarke's stuff because it is melodic and played softly. The family apprecaites the effort.

BrotherBACH

5. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    You know... I catch so much grief and it's NOT my fault! Who knew I would have a trumpet given to me? Who knew I would find a like-new Reynolds that needed rescuing from the pawn shop? Who knew I would find a pro-level horn at such a ridiculously low price? These things and others were way beyond my control!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mark

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You could play the cornet in the car if that works for you.

Tom

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I got your back brother! :D

8. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    For the last 17 months I have practiced in my truck everyday for a solid 75 minutes, I use a Silent Brass System, if you get one of these, ditch the head phones as they are poor quality, I use my IPOD head phones and they work great.

First I do a warm up about 15 minutes

Second I incorporate long tones into range extension exercises - 15 - 20 minutes - ala Charles Colin

Third I practice the " Variations on Clarke’s Second Study, Volume One " - 30 - 45 minutes.

Fourth I warm down with pedal tones

In the evenings it can last up to 1-2 more hours of scales, arpeggios, intervals, music.

All in all hard concentrated practice is the key no matter how long.

9. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    The trouble with practicing in the car is two-fold:
    1. Posture
    2. Improvised music stand/steering wheel or other exacerbates #1 Posture.

However, a car seems like a great practice booth in terms of sound . . .

10. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    On item #2 - I sit in the passenger side seat and adjust the seat all the way back, open the glove compartment and it becomes my music stand. Bingo !!:play::thumbsup:

As for item #1 ? Just make sure you back is straight, never a problem. :play:

Oh!! for my car practice forgot to mention I only use a Pocket trumpet, alot of room!!