Practice, Do You?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Honkie, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    An interesting article by Dom Minasi, including short interviews with jazz trumpeters about their practice routines:

Practice, Do You? - Part 2-3

Herb Robertson, Dennis Gonzalez, Matt Lavelle, Joe McPhee, Dave Douglas, Jack Walrath, Paul Smoker

(...I'm off to practice now...this article is inspiring....)

2. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Good article.

I'm off to practice too... think I need about 25 years worth.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Interesting article, and one that has a lot of good takeaways.

My approach to practice over the last year or so has changed quite a bit. I always practiced, but I wasn't as regular as I am now, and I have added a lot of things to my practice that I believe help me overall. This started 5-6 years ago when I was busier than a one-legged man in an arse kicking contest. I simply had to find a way to keep my chops going, and I had to find a way to streamline it because I didn't have hours I could spend on it per day.

These days, my overall level of play is very important to me, and certain aspects of life have slowed down. My kids are older and aren't involved in as much, and so I do take a bit more time on the horn, but it takes discipline to sit down and systematically work out the things that I need to work out, just to keep my chops in the kind of playing shape I want them to be in, and to keep tight on the music I have to play at the gig.

Unfortunately, I'm not doing a lot of classical-oriented work, mainly for 2 reasons. One, that's not what I gig, and two, I don't have the time. My practice is very gig-oriented - I work what I need to work in order to successfully play the book I get paid to play.

I do have some new goals though. I've always wanted to learn to be a decent improvisational soloist, so I'll be embarking upon trying to find a starting point for that, so I'll be looking into a lot of different things for that, to include learning new music.

Fortunately so much cross-applies - if you have strong technical fundamentals, it's mostly a mental shift if playing opportunities shift genres, and I've been pretty fortunate that I can feel at home doing anything from concert band to big band, quintet to R&B.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I find that an hour each night -- even if I divide that between trombone and trumpet (or trumpet and occasional trombone) - seems to be sufficient to maintain what I have --- and actually accrue some improvement ----------------------- I mean, I have done that light workout for several weeks because of scheduling and health issues this year ----- and it seems to work out. of course, I try everything I got (low notes, long tones, tonguing, high notes, musical phrases) ---- my endurance suffers with less "face time" -- but everything else is fine or better!!!

5. salebow

salebow New Friend

Jul 10, 2014
    Edmond, OK
    As I am a comeback trumpet player, I've had to try and figure out what I did when I was in college as a music major vs what I can do now and take it slowly. I do Schlossberg's daily drills book pages 1-3 or 4, First couple pages of Clarke's Technical studies, and then do other various books that have melodies plus my Arban's book. I do need a good book to teach single tonguing as I do need to work on that, but I just make up stuff in my head when I'm practicing that portion. I've come a long way in the 3 weeks since I started practicing. I've only been able to get between 45 min- 1 hour in each day, although yesterday I put in about 1-1.5 hours. I'm trying to gradually push to longer times when I can.

The only thing I can't stand as far as come back is this darn chapped lips/minor burning irritation feeling. Nothing seems to be helping it. I don't know if it is this dang Oklahoma dry weather that is causing this, as I used to live in a very humid portion of the south, and it was NEVER this DRY. I've noticed my skin overall is more itchy, especially on my back from the dryness. I've tried vaseline, that made it worse than Carmex. Carmex only helps a little bit, but I feel as though I should be done with this by week three. Does anyone have any recommendations to try? I'm thinking of trying some Burt's bees. I've also thought about that chop saver balm but I would have to go way out of my way to buy some. I know I need to drink more water, and I've been trying to.

Other than that previous question, I've been practicing or trying to practice warm up first thing in the morning. I do about 20-25 minutes max for the warmup at this point. How long do people usually wait before their second session. I really try to not play until tired and stop short of that. Any thoughts from anyone?

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If by chance you are allergic to wool, DO NOT USE BURT'S BEES or in any way come in contact with lanolin or any product that contains it, as Burt's Bees lip balm does. If you are sure that you are not allergic, the application of anhydrous (liquid) pure lanolin ONLY AFTER PRACTICE is a soothing balm. Another that I recommend ... that is also less expensive ... is pure ALOE gel or even the liquid from the broken leaf of a plant. I repeat, treat only after practice/playing.

Drinking about 48 ounces of water daily is great for your overall health, but there is no assurance that it keeps your lips moist. My remedy is to lip bite a wet handkerchief although at home I bite 4" surgical pads only because of happenstance I've access to one or two life times supply FREE. This wet cloth routine can be used as needed intermittingly while practicing/playing.

Lastly, doing a comeback is really a new beginning where those I tutor start out with alternating 20 minutes playing with 20 minutes rest (while I demonstrate or discuss). Even presently with my health issues, I alternate 30 minutes playing with 15 minutes rest. The point being one has to re-develop and strengthen the embouchure for extended endurance as otherwise, you may be pummelling and bruising your lips. Often I practice a session in the morning between 6:00 AM and 7:15 AM while my wife is still asleep using Yamaha Silent Brass with good earphones then later in the day perhaps another session without the YSB when my wife is away from home working, and if she is home and she hasn't any other life priority for me to do, again with the YSB.

PS - for my students to record their practice at home as well as the timing I'm paid my fee for, such is only the time they are actually practicing, or "lip time" I call it, not including their rest time.