Practice etude material

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hichez, Jun 30, 2011.

1. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    I was looking for some recommendations for an etude book just that is fun to practice out of. I was looking for something like the Getchell second book of practical studies. Some thing with a nice mix of things to play. I already have books that only have lyrical/technical etudes. But just wanted another book like the Getchell because it offered variety of fun etudes to play. Maybe something that dips into minor etudes a bit more. My ears aren't use to hearing that and when I go sight read that stuff it's a train wreck.

2. Blasphemy

Blasphemy New Friend

Jun 24, 2011
    North Andover, MA
    The etudes are a bit longer, but check out "Top Tones for the Trumpeter" by W. M. Smith. The notes are a little up there, but when worked to perfection, both your sight reading and technical skills will be much better for it :).

The etudes are about two pages apiece, but you could always pick out individual phrases for sight reading. Most of them are above my level (to play well), but useful none-the-less.

3. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    What do you mean when you say notes are up there? Anything above high C(the C above the staff)?

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I like the Vizzutti book #1 for a few pages of etudes and then I go to the Thiecke book for a page or two.

5. Blasphemy

Blasphemy New Friend

Jun 24, 2011
    North Andover, MA
    Almost all of the music is below the C above the staff. I'd say there are only two or three that go higher.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    sacshe 100 etudes
    (used more commonly for transcription practice, but still great fun to play on B-flat!)

7. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    always go with vizzutti and arbans I say

8. Tim Kennedy

Tim Kennedy New Friend

Dec 19, 2009
    kentucky
    The Trumpet player's Bible = Arban's

68' Strad 37ML converted heavy
    79' Strad 43ML