Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm tired of being quiet, worrying about volume, neighbors, housemates, wildlife. I want to get LOUD. Not just on trumpet, but with a new drum kit (I haven't had one for a few years now).

Here's my plan.

I have an old rusted metal storage shed in the back yard and I'm going to replace it with a 10' x 10' wooden shed, that Home Depot builds on your spot, with a taller than normal ceiling. Then, we're going to finish the inside and soundproof it. Viola! Practice pad. If it's soundproofed enough, I should be able to practice at 5 am, or whenever.

I'm discussing the soundproofing with my cousin and the people at Home Depot and it looks like I can get away with not having to pay very high prices for professional materials that are intended for recording studios. It's a nice upgrade for the property to have an office, with electricity, and so it should pay for itself down the road. If I mind the acoustics, I can probably record in there as well.

My question for you all is .......... Is 10 feet by 10 feet really large enough for a small jazz ensemble to practice in (4 people)? Small drum kit, small upright piano ..... is there enough room left over? Any thoughts would be helpful, I've always managed to play and practice with groups in large spaces (I COULD squeeze 10 x 12 onto that spot....).

Turtle

2. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Talk about "shedding"!

That will be very tight. Anything is possible, but just the drums alone take up more space than you may realize, allowing for the cymbal stands (especially the ride), pedals, throne, and for drums not overlapping. Will you have a double bass in there? If you want to get loud, the bassist will need an amp (for bass guitar or DB), as will the pianist. Do you want any room for music stands & Real Books too? Where will people put their bags/cases? I think it might be a bit small for an ensemble.

If you go REALLY minimalist, it might work: horn, drums, bass (check out Linda Oh's album "Entry", or anything by Fly).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I played once with my garage band in a small cabin .... smaller than 10 x 10. We had my Roland drum kit, a violin (she didn't need an amp ...incredible volume), and 2 guitars with big amps. I also had a huge Roland amp for the drums (the big 120 lb one they don't make any more).

Total sardine time. It didn't bother me so much being on the drums .... but nobody else could move from their spot.

With a little jazz group, the piano could be a digital piano. I have some experience with putting drums in small spaces (used to haul them around in a VW bug) and I don't actually know anyone yet with a double bass .... it may turn out to be an electric bass. Cases and other stuff can go in the house.

It's sounding like 10 x 12 maybe is the way to go.

Turtle

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Have you considered heating/cooling?

5. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston

It could work. I've got a drumkit, 88-key digital piano, and bass amp in my small basement. I think I could squeeze it all into 10x12. The bassist would have to be careful not to wack anyone with the guitar neck.

Here's another thought- I don't know how high the ceiling will be, but if you have the drums on a small riser, you could put a couple of amps (bass, keyboard) under the riser and save a little sq. footage there.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    No problem with heating ..... It will be so heavily insulated and tight that a tiny space heater is all that's needed. Our winters are not that cold here. Summer ....... that's a different story. We have (usually) long hot summers. However, the nights are cold in the summer so ....... we'll see. We could easily get driven out though, if there's no cooling at certain times.

Turtle

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    There are a few choices for heights of ceilings .... the shortest one is like a storage shed!:lol:

Up a couple of feet is the spot I'm going for. But, definitely not enough head room to put the drums up a little bit. It is good however, for the drummer to be up above the rest of the band. That way they can better fend off all the drummer jokes.

As far as VOLUME goes, I want it for practice on the trumpet, so I can practice more openly, and the drums. But when a little group is in there, volume won't be the goal at all. Our garage band volume came down over time as we got over the fun of just being loud, and we then spent time arranging amps and other things to "engineer" the room so we could all hear better. Shouldn't be much trouble hearing each other in that small a space.:shock:

Turtle

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The answer to your question in one word is this...no!

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    If we only have skinny musicians???

That's not going to work with the people I know ....ROFL

Turtle

10. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    I like the storage shed idea. They make them with high enough roofs to put a loft in, so I think elevating the drum kit is certainly an option. Certainly, the space would be sufficient for your own practice.

I'm genuinely concerned about my volume and timing of practice. I took over our spare bedroom that has been used for storage and made that my practice room. I insulated the window with foam insulation and Reflectix. I also treated the cheap, hollow core double doors with reflectix, which made a huge difference in isolating the room from the rest of the house. The rest of my strategy involves timing. I don't practice before 9:00 am and I usually draw the line around 8:00 pm. I'll push it to 9:00, but will usually go with a mute after 8:00. I've gotten no complaints, yet and I make no effort to hold back on volume. Our home is on a real sized lot, though and was built in the 70's, so there is space between them. We live on a quiet street and I did get a few comments when I practiced in the garage. Nobody has said a word since my move to the current space, though.

Good luck in your quest for practice Nirvana! It's always a concern if you're the least bit conscientious.

Mark