Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Turtle, you can get video card for your comp as is what I have in my Dell media and works well. Not all HD TVs are compatible with comps, but HD monitors are now available and mostly what is currently marketed. Still HD isn't functional unless such is broadcast and / or a comp program supports it.

The direct sound from My little 66 key Yamaha ain't great, but improves somewhat with MIDI output, though it degrades with many comp programs, just as does my brass input.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Were I ever to do the same, I now would have first priority for plumbing ... duh, when I gotta go I gotta go, now having a diuretic med.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hiring someone to wire it. That's the next step. Then, insulation (and I might look for something with better soundproof qualities than pink fiberglass insulation), then SoundBoard and some bits of acoustical treating (bass traps and such). It will be interesting to hear what sort of acoustical sound quality we can achieve in there ...... I plan on getting the help of two people who own recording studios here to try and get the sound right. I'd like to have enough open space in there to record things like vocals, trumpet, guitars and drums (that would be brought in and then taken out). An electronic piano also has the advantage of letting you record straight in through a line, without a microphone.

Turtle

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Turtle, don't waste any money on Owens-Corning insulation (the pink stuff) as it offers almost nil for sound quality and is not optimum for thermal quality. The best I know of is spray applied foam insulation.

The MIDI output of electronic pianos IS NOT directly recordable! You must connect it to a compatible and viable sound generator / comp program with an audio output. Only the high end electronic pianos have a direct audio output with any quality sound.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I would post a pic of the shed but can't get the image to display from Photobucket.:dontknow:

Turtle

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Okay, here it is.

[​IMG]

It looks like a storage shed. That's 10 feet across the front. After examining the inside carefully, I have some holes to plug (and slits) with soundproofing material before I do the wiring. It looks nice, huh?

Turtle

7. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    I
    It looks ah... a little small. You certainly will be developing an intimate sound from your quintet. :lol:

Seriously, best of luck to you in your endeavor.
    At the very least you will have great practice space for yourself.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It looks like a postage stamp!:lol:

It's actually pretty big when you're standing next to it. 10 feet across the front and 12 feet long. The key to making it a place you'd want to spend some time in, is how tall it is. Those walls are fully 7 feet on the INSIDE, with the peak going to over 9 feet. That means, when you're standing inside, the peak of the ceiling is higher than an 8 footed wall bedroom. Of course, at this point, it's open beams and 2 x 4's. When it's all finished, it should be very cozy in the winter and ..... whoah ..... air conditioned in the summer. Yesterday was 95 and so I got a really nice dry sauna inside.:-P

The inside should be more interesting in pictures, when it gets going. I think the QUINTET is OUT, as well as the QUARTET and the TRIO. The piano is out. The key to making all this work for me, and keeping enough open floor space for jamming with friend(s) and recording, is a very small desk and a very small couch/futon so that I can fit the very small fridge.

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Turtle, I've successfully used spray expanding foam for insulation around an air-conditioner. I put plastic shopping bags in the spaces and then sprayed in the foam and let it fill the bags - cut down the noise A LOT, and the bags stopped it sticking to sensitive stuff. Don't forget to do around the skirts under your construction - the noise will escape from there too. You might like to think about installing conduit for the electrics - that'll get the power outlets and switches etc where you want them, and will allow you to get on with the insulation - be generous with the conduits, consider the future, you may want to use the room for other stuff. So more outlets are better than not enough.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It needs a sign: SERIOUS MUSICIANS ONLY