Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't forget the wet bar, that will dampen the sound. You can use it as the electric piano stand.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Thanks for the technical advice. Since you're a Doc, I'll take this as a prescription. And, just to complete your thought ........ "Don't forget the wet bar, it will dampen your sound, but not your spirits!"

And TED,

Thanks for the technical advice. Since you're an engineer, I'll take what you said as a building plan. GREAT idea about placing the electrical bits before the wiring actually takes place ... to get onto the insulation. Spray in insulation sounds like a winner, I can't measure accurately and I can't cut straight (hence, why I'm not a carpenter).:dontknow:

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You're allowed to dampen your spirits with a little ice, but use sparingly.

Disp: One wet bar - filled completely with spirits of choice
    Sig: Use spirits contained within liberally when lips begin vibrating to lessen strain on muscle
    Refill: Monthly restock required
    Insurance Providers Must Comply

Hope this helps so you can just get by with a co-pay from your insurance company. By the way - I really LOVE your Avatar! It is you! It is cool!

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Thanbks! I did a Google search of images of turtles and waded through HUNDREDS of them to find this one. It was in among a bunch of turtle TATOOS.:lol:

Turtle

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have a 20+ year-old Technics piano. It has weighted action, a full size keyboard, and breaks down into two pieces. It sounds like a piano (actually has several different piano sounds), has midi in, out, thru. If you could find one I am sure you could get it for less than $500. There is enough room on top for a laptop computer. Against a wall it doesn't take up that much room, and it would be easy to move out and turn around to seat a player behind it looking into the room.

Interesting story: I bought it to play in an upstairs 2 room apartment (kitchen/living room, bedroom, bathroom). With headphones I could play at night and not disturb the neighbors, but wife (that wife, then) said, "You make too much noise breathing." I guess I would get so into it while playing with headphones that I WAS making a lot of noise breathing. Problem solved! Divorce!

Now, the acoustic Yamaha U3 in our house does take over the place, and out of consideration I don't play it after the other half goes to bed. She does not mind, though, if I play trumpet. She says she can sleep fine while I do so. Neighbors 1/4 mile away - it's a dream setup.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:lol:

Turtle

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While spray expanding foam insulation can be applied DIY, I highly recommend hiring professional appliers whereas "technician" for health reason must wear HAZMAT apparel & appropriate mask. Both my sheds are provided electricity from the house meter put underground to each with resin conduit, but each has its own separate breaker panel. I must say I'm not in favor of T-111 laminate siding. Sad that you didn't get spray insulation applied under flooring.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I did ask them to insulate the floor and they put in ...... the pink fiberglass stuff. No easy way to do it after the fact, the floor they put in is excellent. Heavy plywood and solid all around.

Next time: I'd ask them to use the spray insulation. But, they would have to do it on site.

The other change I'd make is the door. I don't need this wide a door and frankly, a regular door, a heavy one, would be more soundproof.

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    If it's hollow, fill it with foam, too, TJ..........:oops:

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My storage shed here is 12x16. Ed's right on the T-111, it's not holding up well in spots......Buck:oops: