Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You guys had better ideas earlier in this thread.

For the record, turtles are aquatic, but NOT THIS ONE.:lol:ROFL

Turtle

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    That's no shed, it's a blowfish!!!!

turtlejimmy likes this.
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Exept for the aquatics that are floating in your glass of gin and tonic. Right?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No humor intended, but aquarium tubing and the same source pump would provide sustainable life air. All of these I've seen operate on AC, thus if I remember you'll need an AC outlet from your father's house ... oh wait ... I'm sure you've provided electrical power into your shed already, and while these pumps do hum, they are not immersible in water, thus it wouldn't take much to place them outside inside their own waterproof container. I'll just bet the pet store aquarium tubing etc would be less than pennies on the dollar as opposed to what my medical apparatus cost even though Medicare and supplemental insurance pay 100%.

Still, truly, I recommend that you do immediately put a high grade weatherproof sealer and then paint that T-111 siding. Need I say anything about termite and other vermin protection ?

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Right now I'm busy caulking the interior to seal it and spraying expanding foam insulation into cracks and small spaces with a hand held can. Works great, but you have to be careful, it could get messy.

The ventilation system I'm building will hook up to ducts and is totally SOUNDPROOF. I plan on having it on all the time the building is in Stealth Mode, even when I'm recording. That's what it was designed for .... The same people have plans for "Vocal Booths" that you can build and put inside your house, for a soundproof recording space. These vocal booths are soundproof but have no ventilation. So, that's what this unit is for. As described, it is 8 inches thick, roughly 3' x 3' square, and weighs 60 pounds. It's on caster wheels so you can move it around. After I build it, I'll post up some pics.

Or you can get a look at a drawing of it at: www.dawbox.com

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Turtle,
    Please don't be offended, but I see you're sealing it from the inside, are you intending to fill it with water? I would have thought that you seal the OUTSIDE so that the water doesn't get in in the first place - or are we still talking about the sound escaping? :dontknow:

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

It's not an aquarium!:lol:

I'm sealing it for sound and also against bugs. Tossing a bag of mothballs underneath the building deters pretty much everything from getting under there, especially racooons. And, conversely, stocking the wet bar attracts musicians.:thumbsup:

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Don't know which is worse, TJ. The raccoons or the musicians:lol::dontknow::oops:

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:

We'll see .... I used to live downtown in a cottage I rented from a friend and next to it was the neighbor's old unused garage. Living underneath the garage was a very large racoon (biggest one I've ever seen) with two babies. She used to growl at me after dark, when I came home to my place. I'd have to tell my friends to ignore the growling when they came over.:dontknow:

We'll see if musicians behave any better.

Turtle

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    SHED UPDATE: I'm busy with window, wiring, insulation and soundboard. These materials are so easy to work with, even I (with my limited carpentry skills) am getting great results. The insulation I picked comes in 4 x 8 sheets that are 2 inches thick. It cuts with an exacto knife (along a heavy, wide metal T-square straight edge). Same with the SoundBoard (which is 1/2 inch thick). No sawing required.:-)

Where I miss my measuring a bit with the insulation chuncks, I just fill in with the can of spray in insulation. :cool:

Building the Dawbox ventilation system, on the other hand, is no easy thing. There's no parts list, no written and drawn directions on paper .... You get a video of the guy who invented it, putting one together. After it's done, if I'm still here (and not in an asylumn somewhere), I'll let you know how it went.

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011