Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So much for my attempts to protect Motherhood, America and Apple Pie (with whipped cream of course)! After all, it is your shed, your pin up and your having to live with the turtle that is jimmy! Have fun with the poster in your new shed. May it be the inspiration of many a riffs and bebop runs as your tongue gyrates from one lick to the next.

I can R-E-S-P-E-C-T this.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm sure motherhood will be fine.

Heaven update: Electricity is in (a real turn on) and the insulation and most of the soundboard is up. Progress is speeding up with the weather change ... previously (and I'm doing all the work) it was SAUNA time by late morning (with temps at 94 degrees for months). I'm building the ventilation system off a video but a bit stuck because Home Depot doesn't have the 4" plastic computer fans anymore. The video was made in 2006 .... :roll: ...... So, I'm hunting for plastic fans. A little help with the ceiling from my Cousin and I could have it finished by next weekend.:-)

Total cost: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: (think used Monette:-P)

Turtle

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    In regard to those plastic fans, what about using a fan like a bathroom fan? Would that work? I would tend to think that Home Depot would have plenty of those.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Patrick,

They do, as well as ventilaion system fans that go into ducts. None of those are very quiet ..... I'm hoping I can have that vent system I'm building running all the time, and while I'm recording. Also, the little plastic ones are 12volt and the duct fans are 110. He's figured his design to fit those little plastic comp fans, so it'll be easier with the right ones. Those, he claims, are whisper quiet. Actually, he claims they are as silent as a mouse (when was the last mouse you heard that was silent? :lol::dontknow:)...

However, I'm going to have a small fridge in there, which I'll probably have to switch off at times. Hard to find quet refrigerators.:roll:

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ah, I see - that makes perfect senese. 4" computer fans aren't terribly hard to come by, nor are they terribly expensive - you'll just have to order them rather than pick them up locally.

6. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    It is very easy to see if 10 x 10 or 20 x 20 will do. Just set up your group anywhere in the tightest configuration you can live with and measure the "frame". Put tape on the floor and try to stay inside it. Remmeber though you do not have real walls so it will be much more confining in the finished room.
    What other rooms/garages/basement/attic(great!) do you have access to? BTW a single garage is usually 10 x 20 minimum, a small bedroom is 9 x 10.
    It is amazing what you can do inexpensively to cut sound with drapes, acoustic ceiling tiles and changing the ceiling and walls so that they are not paralell

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

You're probably right. In the video, the fans he got (2006) were only around 5 - $10, and he suggested that they'd have to be replaced yearly (after a while, they aren't so quiet). Maybe a local comp store has them.

Btw, this is the same guy (Dawbox) who sells plans for vocal booths (of sizes to fit inside normal rooms, and you can take apart to move). This ventilation system he's designed is great. I'll bet the vocal booths, which could make indoor trumpet practice boxes, are good also. One of those would be a considerably less expensive alternative to my shed.

Here's where they are: www.dawbox.com

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
  9. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I was very interested to read your comments your teacher made that you needed to "bust out" more. I cannot and will not practice in a "practice room" for that reason
    I practice in my living rooma (30' long)and I can assure you I am as loud as anyone because that is the way I am going to play in the club. The instrument sounds VERY different in an open atmosphere than a little cramped cubby. I used to be concerned about bothering folks but no more. Partly becasue I want to enjoy the sound of my sntrumetn while I am practicing. and partley from what I found from doing what I suggest below.

I think you said you live in a detached house
    Can I suggest you get your friends to come to your house to "crank it up" in your house with the windows closed. You go outside and down the street to the next house and see what you actualy hear.
    Even if you hear it a bit, how much will neighbors hear from inside their house. You may find you are worrying about nothing.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    TJ, I was going to suggest looking at a local computer repair place for those fans. We've got one here that's a small operation that is pretty reasonable on that stuff.....Buck:dontknow::oops: