Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The most import item update you forgot to mention... Do you have the wet bar stocked yet?????

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Turtle,

Have you considered how many of those fans will you need to ventilate the space when things are warm?

I recently replaced a bathroom ceiling fan and they suggested that suitability was based on the volume of the room and how often that volume needed to be changed every hour (12 times I think) - one ceiling fan was JUST enough to meet the need of a 12' x 8' bathroom with a 9' ceiling.

I also ventilate the underfloor space of my two back rooms (30' x 15' x 2') by using 4 x 4" 12 volt fans on a timer - they are just noisy enough to be heard when they turn on in the morning. They are mounted into a double brick wall below a carpetted 5 ply floor, and the master bed sits over to top of the whole shooting match, and still I hear them with 59 y.o. ears.

The bathroom ceiling fan is quieter than the 12v fans. Note I'm speaking of 4" computer style axial fans, not the little 2" ones in the back of a PC.

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Yes, Ted, but they are almost 60 Y.O. ears.........just rubbing it in because mine are even closer to that than your 59 & 11/12ths y.o. ears.....but I digress.
    And I'm not sure, but in the southern hemisphere, should the fans be on the ceiling or on the floor, technically?
    This is helping a great deal I'm sure.:D
    OK, continue on with the discussion.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I dunno Big Dub, that's why I gave Turtle recent examples of ceiling fan and floor fan installations - it's another of the services we Aussies provide - that and giving Moderators purpose. ROFL

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ted, Over here, that's referred to as providing "job security":lol::roll::oops:

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

NEXT SUMMER ......... There'll either be an AC unit in one of the windows or I'll be TOAST. Maybe a solar powered swamp cooler but I can't practice in a sweat lodge. There was a suggestion that I could get some fast shade on it by locating a few tallish and fast growing trees next to the new shed. Planted in large oak barrels would make them ...... about 4 feet taller. Good idea, that.

I went out looking for a small heater for the joint ......and scored with a tiny 700 watt oil filled heater. It's just like the bigger ones, only it's a foot tall. It's completely silent.:-)

Just about done here .... I expect to finish it BEFORE my felts and rebuild kit arrives from The Bandroom (1 month and 8 days and counting ....:thumbdown:).

And about the little plastic computer fans ........ Radio Shack. Perfect size and fit but sort of expensive. I think it's a $3 fan, but by the time it's packaged up and the Radio Shack sticker is slapped on there .... It's $20.:shock:

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Timed fans exhausting beneath a basement less house /shed serve multi-functions, 1. evacuate toxic Radon gas if present, 2. evacuate moisture as may induce mold and rot, and 3. evacuate heat. 2 and 3 apply to attics as well.

8. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I do not recall how big this room is or the number of folks who will be huffing and puffing there. Last I recall was 100 - 120 sq ft with 4-5 folks.
    You may be in great need of pure ventilation. Inlet at the bottom and exhaust out the top.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Right theory, but computations must be in cubic feet / cubic meters. Also, Turtle, be extremely leery of carbon monoxide emissions from oil heaters that are not vented to the exterior. Both my paternal grandparents died from such. Just a little CO makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to practice / play any wind instrument. Watts from an oil heater ??????? More like BTU!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Oxygen tent on the roof, piped into the shed via flex hose. (just kidding)

No, we've given up the idea of jams with multiple musicians and instruments and it's going to be mostly office/trumpet practice/recording booth.

And Ed, don't worry. It's not an oil heater .... but rather it's filled with oll and electric. You just turn it on and adjust the thermostat. There aren't any emissions from one of these sealed units (that I'm aware of).

Turtle