Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks!

There's also the drums .... for shere neighborhood annoying power, not much beats a drum kit. I believe I'm going to be able to sound insulate the shed enough with just materials from Home Depot. I can keep the cost down by asking my friends, who are carpenters where I'm not, to help me with finishing the inside, the electricity, etc. I'm probably not going be worry much about recording in there, since my cousin has a converted barn recording studio that I can use.

Mostly, this is about being able to practice trumpet and drums, by myself, at all sorts of odd hours. More likely than not, the jazz ensemble will find another place, probably somebody's living room.

Turtle

2. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    We get trumpet, bass guitar, rhythm guitar, singer, alto sax, and slimmed down drum kit, (snare, hi-hat and ride,) In a space that size room (3.2mx3.2m). There is also an electric piano and PA in the room. You just have to organize. I can get pretty hot and even in winter we leave the door open for some time. I have sound absorbing material on the wall and we all play soft for balance. You'd better like the people you play with though.

3. R.T. Swing

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Did I mention the bass amp, the rhythm is directly in the mixer.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm also going to use it as an office, so there goes a little more room. I see what you're saying about needing to be organized. Maybe the PA system can be mounted on the walls (the speakers). My office desk needs to be ultra compact, or there's no room for a tiny fridge. And where on earth am I going to put the couch for our groupies to sit on?:dontknow:

Turtle

5. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston

You need a superhero secret lair, not a shed.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:

T

7. R.T. Swing

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    PA speakers under electric piano, they stick out bit and are used as shelf space for mutes and coffee. Monitors, mixer, amp and computer sit on top of electric piano I have a small book shelf for music and mics but my only 'desk' space is the closed piano top.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    R.T.Swing,

You sound like a master at using smaller spaces.

I'm thinking maybe 10 x 10 is big enough for 3 musicians and the 4th will just have to be someplace else, synched and wired up by video conferencing. That way you can boot out the most annoying person but still have their impact on the music.:lol:

It would also be helpful if they had the most space hungry instrument, like the drums. But it doesn't always work that way .... My experience (as a drummer) is that they're usually the coolest, most easy going musicians around, and the most agreeable (that could be because they're the only ones who can't read music).ROFL

Turtle

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    10x10 isn't big enough in my opinion. My 5-piece kit takes up pretty much a 6x6 footprint all by itself - 5' front to back, but in general when anyone asks how much room I need I say 6x6.

Something to keep in mind is that soundproofing is less about soaking up sound with sound attenuating materials as it is about isolation. A room within a room with dead air space in between is what you need to soundproof so that the sound that is inside doesn't get outside - it can be quite loud and live inside and yet it will keep the sound from getting through to the outside.

It's a similar concept to that of a stainless vacuum bottle thermos - the heat can transfer because it has no medium in which to transfer - the only place where the inner and outer bottles touch is at the mouth where they are connected, so that's the only place where the heat can transfer, which is why it stays hot on the inside but cool to the touch on the outside.

That's my 2 cents.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes, the drums take the most room .... Even my old Roland kit had a fairly sizeable footprint, though I was able to fold it up and drive it around in the back seat of my car.

My whole interest in this small group is to play and learn jazz and have weekly informal musical events that aren't rehearsals but just mostly for fun. I can attract better musicians if I host the thing .... I've seen that dynamic over the years. I'm not a jazz drummer, I mainly want to play trumpet here and sing (if they want me to).

Without the kit, there's a lot more room. Maybe just piano, bass and trumpet? I would rather have an upright piano than an electric piano and there are many on Craigslist right now. Really fine small uprights for cheap and my cousin knows a really good piano tuner.

Without the drums, a 4th musician takes less room .... sax player, conga, electric guitar.

Turtle