Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    For me....10x10 is large enough if you're using the band from the Robert Palmer Addicted to Love video :)

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Those heaters work well, and if you get enough practice in, you'll start getting fans!

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ah yes, I am relieved. I bought one of those portable heating radiators for one of my college digs. Supposed to have been centrally heated, but I think the landlord turned the heat down or off at night when I was still up studying. Then too, those digs were very old and poorly insulated. I subsequently sold it to the student who moved in when I moved out. Actually hid it in the closet during the day while I was in class as the agreement was that I would operate no other appliances in my room other than a radio, my lamps, and my typewriter. I'm sure she knew I was then using an electric razor, but didn't complain.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I spoke to a sales engineer at Sweetwater about the Shed ..... He said I'd probably be best off with a very "dead" sound in there (for recording). He's helped many home recording studios to get up and running. Great fun to talk with these guys. He suggested that, with the SoundBoard inside, it may be good just like that. ..... When it's finished (just days away), I'll do my own sound testing. If it isn't "dead" enough, there's Aurelex panels and bass traps.

I almost hate to admit it, but I worried about the Shed when I heard that chunks of space debris might reach the West coast. They calculated the odds of a chunk landing on a specific person, but failed to figure the odds of one hitting a specific SHED. :)shock:) .... A flattened shed would certainly deaden the sound.:-(

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You earlier mentioned putting in a fridge. Remember they generate heat. Maybe it should be outside. In the winter you won't need to plug it in.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Wow, I must need a holiday - I thought you'd written "there's Aurelex panels and brass taps" and I began to wonder why you needed them?

Then I had another read ...

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    The brass taps are for the keg, Ted:roll::lol::oops:

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Tiny, apartment fridge. I found one that's just the right size to have my Vox guitar amp sitting on tap. I mean, on top.:roll::D

Turtle

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yah, if one of those Aurelex panels are not attached properly, they could fall off and strike someone on the head.... After which Turtle would play taps on his brass axe or for short... brass taps.

tedh1951 likes this.
  10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    My cousin came over for an initial sound check. We're testing for two different things: Soundproofing (inside to outside) and the sound quality inside. The results were mixed .... it's not entirely finished but it's soundproof enough already for me to practice the trumpet all day long without any neighbors even noticing. The ventilation system is awesome, bringing fresh air in while maintaining soundproofness. And, since I stuck the (not so quiet) fans on the outside of the building, the ventilation unit is absolutely soundproof (good design from Dawbox). A soundproof space is usually an airtight space ....... the difference between having fresh air coming in (when in full stealth mode) and no air coming in is like NIGHT and DAY. Or, is that day and night?

As for the sound inside .... whoah, it's very bright. The SoundBoard helps with soundproofing but does nothing to bring down the bright reflectiveness of solid walls. Since I've put a layer of enamel paint over, it's even brighter. It's pretty bright even for practicing but way too much so for recording. I need to put something down on the hard floor to soften the sound. I'm thinking an 8x10 chunk of thick carpeting that you buy in one roll. Then ....... Aurelex panels and bass traps. The small futon along one wall will help also. According to the sound engineer sales guy I'm working with at Sweetwater, that should give me clean sound. This is a pretty common situation for him ..... helping the home recording enthusiast make whatever space they have sound good for recording.

A note from my sound engineering research ......... Cheap mics in a great sounding room will give you better results than high end mics in a terrible sounding room. Makes sense when you think about it ... If the room sounds like crap, the great mics will pick up all the terrible qualities in great detail. So, it makes sense for recording to put at least some money into sound treatment.

We also tested for spirits and that was excellent.:bravo:

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011