Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Elvis is the Bomb!!!

"Shedhouse Rock" is one of my favorite songs.:dontknow:

"No Room to Rhumba in The Shed"
    "Blue Suede Shed"
    "Baby, Let's Play Shed"
    "Heartbreak Shed"
    "A Big Hunk of Shed"

All favorites ....

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How did I miss this thread!!! ??? Laughing so hard I'm crying!!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Can you say cookies!! Oops, is that Chuck Norris behind you?!:-?

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The shed is not handling loud volumes very well yet, it's so bright and lively. A nail dropped on the floor (tiny wire nail) and it sounded loud.:shock:

I have a particularly loud steel string acoustic and I can bang on it so loudly in there that it hurts my ears (I'm not kidding). The low volumes I've been practicing the trumpet sound great in there, but quite a but louder than my old practice room .... and a whole lot brighter. Suddenly, my Recording isn't such a dark animal.:-( (although it sounds just as gorgeous ... brighter, darker, it doesn't matter).

If I want to open up my trumpet sound to a fuller, bigger one, I'm going to have to tame this shed's livliness a whole lot. Whoah ... my ears are still ringing from that damn guitar.:stars:

Turtle

5. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    If you generally like it, just hang a quilt on the wall in front of you when you want the sound to calm down a bit

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Two words Turtle: No not - TURTLE SOUP

They are: Acustic Panels
    ATS Acoustic Panels

They say, maximum sound absorption and lowest cost. Sounds like a great combination to me... but then again... so does turtle soup and crackers.... Hummmm

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You can also hang fabric stuff from the ceiling to reduce the high overtones. Or glue inverted styrofoam cups everywhere. They make egg crate-like foam mattress covers which you could staple into place. Or even egg crates. Get the square egg holders they stack up in the big boxes of eggs and staple them into place. You can get them for nothing, which is cheaper than accoustic panels. Those of us not doctors need to go for the cheap stuff.

It is very important to wear a soft and regal velvet or plush robe while you play as that will soak up highs (not from you, from the sound). Cover any hard surface (inc. your Recording) with soft airy fabric. You may want a soft rug you can cover the cherrywood with as needed. Play in socks.

Please, I'd like to toast you, but I don't drink (alcohol), so have mine as well as your own! Gmonady can't make it so have his as well - I checked with him through the psychic network and he thinks it's OK.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh no Big Boy you aint playin no mind games on me. I know for a fact that the psychic network did not tell you this, 'cause the voices in my head told me so. And by the way Turtle, yes I will partake of fine Chianti over a bowl of turtle soup with you in your shed and in your presence. Shhh voices.... go away.... I know what I am doing....

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Gmonaday, you rock! THOSE panels look great and less expensive than the Aurelex kits. I like how they come in different thicknesses. Good find.

First up on the taming list .... 6' x 8' heavy carpet chunk to lay on the (soon to be dark hardwood) floor. One of those heavy acoustic panels to play right into (with the trumpet) and a much smaller Aurelex kit for the room, with the bass traps and all that cool stuff. It's getting pretty high tech in here ...... and on the outside it still looks like we're storing lawnmowers inside.:lol:

And hey, Turtles like soup too. And they bite. I'm just saying ....:dontknow:

Turtle

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Careful, gmonady--Snapping Turtles can bite off fingers!

SNAPPING TURTLE SOUP RECEPIE
    Cook 3 pounds of turtle meat. Remove from bones, keep broth. Chop into small pieces. Chop 6 hard cooked eggs up fine. Heat 8 quarts of milk, 1/4 pound of butter; add salt and pepper. Add meat, eggs. Do not boil. Add broth with milk.

Don't eat it with your fingers though.