Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    But is it causing you to shed any tears? :D

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Pics coming soon .... I'm 2/3 of the way done with the hardwood floor. I've never put in a floor before and this is just ridiculously easy. It's just click, snap, saw, tap. Spacers for the walls, and then moulding. Viola. It looks amazing. After a few hours, I started thinking .... "Why am I putting a nice hardwood floor in a shed?" But the answer is, it was ridiculously cheap (on sale). You have to put something down or you're staring at plywood with numbers scrawled all over it. Even some of the cheapest, ugliest carpeting I've ever seen was nearly as expensive. So I thought, why not?:dontknow:

Turtle

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The word "viola" is frowned upon by some of us at TM. You have just cursed your practice heaven.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I could see a real DIY TV type special here. You should've had a film crew with you right from the start! Woulda, shoulda, coulda. We always think of these things after it's too late!!!ROFL

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Turtle tears!:-)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    1. Because wood will liven the sound in an already live space
    2. Because trumpet spit valves opened up on the wood will warp that wood.
    3. Because Viola's are made out of wood validating the Viola Curse that VB has placed on your shed.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Did I say Viola??? Hahahaha ..... I meant Voila!:D

Won't work anyway .... Oregon is a Curse Free State. What do you have against violas anyway? They're just violins with a thyroid condition.:dontknow:

Turtle

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Blah blah blah

The curse won't work here ..... a 6 foot by 8 foot carpet chunk can be thrown down on the floor for recording ..... And Turtle Spit is good for wood. It's all natural, wild and gluten free.:lol:

And BigDub, I agree. Perfect subject for the DIYer type show. Except they would have had to either be here for a month or help me out with it.

Turtle

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Help is always good, TJ:D

With all that construction, bet you haven't kept your eyes open for horns lately............:oops:

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I've stopped looking for horns ... partly because of the Recording and how much I like it, but also because I can't afford to. I do keep an eye on the local Craigslist but now most of my attention is being put towards recording gear. My cousin is arguing strongly against me getting a stand alone recordering unit (like the Tascams, the Zooms and the Bosses). He thinks I'll outgrow it very quickly and look to a computer based system like he's now using. His suggestion: to keep the cost down, a cheap(er) reconditioned MAC with Garage Band bundled on it. The guy who's teaching him all the comp stuff just used Garage Band in Richard's recording studio to do an album that took 6 weeks and cost roughly $14,000. My cousin is still learning the system so he asked him to do the recording while Richard played many of the instruments that went on the album.

Can you imagine spending that kind of money on an album???:shock:

It's pretty common, according to Richard, for people to plunk down that kind of money to a recording studio to cut an album. Anybody who's thinking of cutting an album (like me), and has some comp and engineering ability .... any of the recording systems seem like a bargain. Studio time is EXPENSIVE.:stars:

Turtle