Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    This is interesting.

I finished putting in the Brazilian Cherry floor and it changed the acoustics of the shed quite a bit. It's not a solid hardwood, but rather a "laminate" (whatever that means .... either a thin layer of the real wood on top or something fake .... I can't tell, it looks incredible). It sounds much better now ... a very warm tone to the whole shed. It's actually pretty nice now (but probably still too bright).

Pointing the trumpet at the floor gives a warmer sound (by a lot) than pointing it at the SoundBoard walls. They are brighter, and more brittle ... I guess is a good way of describing it. I have yet to put in the futon which should also change the sound for the better. It's a lot of mass of soft material that a futon has. Maybe I can leave the floor the way it is and just treat the walls a bit with the Aurelex stuff.

A definite big surprise to me because I had just assumed the new floor would be BRIGHTER than the 3/4 inch thick plywood below it. Just the opposite. The plywood was brighter and not very good sounding. Maybe this shouldn't be a surprise ....... after all Cherry is a tone wood. I almost bought an acoustic nylon string guitar made of it. My entire floor is a tone wood now.:-)

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    With a futon, heater and refrigerator, you're set if your spouse should ever kick you out!

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Turtle - this may sound a little obvious, but have you thought about the Cherrywood laminate on the walls?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Turtle, had I wanted a finished wood floor put in a shed, I too would have chosen a laminate over solid wood, costs and any acoustic considerations aside. The layer in the laminate as is Brazilian cherry I don't believe approachs near any acoustic value as a tonal wood comparative to that used in stringed instruments but gains moreso in the method of installation as a floating floor.

The best wall surface I've ever practiced against was made of various diameters of natural bamboo in which various sized holes had been drilled. It was the only wall of four like such. The flooring surface was industial garage type vinyl mats over concrete and the room size 12'x15' in a lower level of what had once been part of a three car garage. I do remember the ceiling had a "popcorn" finish with numerous pot lights. All of his recording equipment was on industrial wheels. It was just my sense that the sound there was more like a space at least five times as large as it was in all dimensions. That bamboo wall has intrigued me ever since.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Banished to the isolation booth.:-(

But wait! ........ There's musical instruments and beer.:-):D

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote from Ted1951: "Have you thought about the Cherrywood laminate on the walls?"

Ted, no I hadn't thought of that. Spendy .... but then you'd be playing inside a tone box. Would I need to cut a sound hole (like a guitar)??? Well, there goes my soundproofness, right out the hole.:dontknow:

And Ed, I don't think I could have afforded solid wood on the floor .... And they may be harder to install. This laminate was pretty easy to get it right, and looks amazing. That bamboo wall sounds interesting .... They had a very nice bamboo floor laminate but it was half again more expensive than the cherry (which was .98 cents a square foot). The underlayment of spongy material made for a soft feeling to the floor and probably helps with the sound.

Turtle

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I call that laminate stuff Floormica.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yeah, that's a good name for it.

I still can't tell what it's made of ...... it looks (up close with the reading glasses on) very suspiciously not like real wood, but I can't find any repeating patterns in the slabs. If I had known that it would sound so good, I'd have looked for Rosewood. I passed up buying a handmade cherry wood nylon string guitar for their (La Paterie in Canada) Rosewood model, which I still have.

Turtle

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Turtle, wherever there is beer or Lasix (diuretic), for me presently the latter, at least a camper porta-potty needs to be available nearest.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Woody Shaw would be proud of the Rosewood choice. Also with the flooring that has already been installed I bet there will be many sounds of Jobim coming from that shed.