Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I hadn't thought of that. Music from Brazil is pretty nice .... I sometimes listen to all Brazilian music on free internet radio stations. There couldn't be too much Jobim coming out of this floor for my taste. I also have a statue made by a friend who went with us to Mexico (when I was 10), from rubbings he took at ancient ruins there. So ...... a distinct latin vibe already in the Turtle Shed. I might put up a poster of Rafael Mendez, if I can find a nice black and white one off eBay.:-)

Turtle

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Then you'll need an Olds Mendez lamp, and even I wouldn't do that!

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    A friend of mine rented a temperature controlled storage shed and insulated it with egg crate mattress tops and quilts. It was larger than what your are speaking and had all the space you would need. The price per month was affordable. Only thing you have to leave your house and gear there. Most today have high security. Best Regards

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As prior stated, laminate snap together flooring floats on the underlayment. In your shed I don't think structure is an issue for durability as will last for an eternity, thus solid wood would have been overkill IMO. The bamboo used against an existing wall was the natural tubular stuff, not a laminate. He did say it was tedious to randomly drill all the varied sized holes in it none that I remember larger than 1/4", and to suspend them in place on nylon cords within a track. He got the bamboo from a carpet warehouse for zilch. Cleaned and polished (or clear coated) his wall looked great. I do think all those holes he drilled created sound traps of a sort. The bad part was that he played the reeds for the Navy band (then or formerly I'm not sure) ... but then he was a tutor for my daughter so I'll excuse that.

While the thick original pine floors were structurally solid, they were painted and heavily scarred in my parent's home. That is the only time I layed solid oak flooring on top of the pine. I had rented a flooring screw gun and the task wasn't that difficult and the results great ... except it took me over 3 weeks to complete and wore me out and I had help. Well, I was also doing the crown moldings and new baseboards then too. It was the latter as justified my acquisition of a compound saw (that I sold prior to moving here to my regret, but then with my present health maybe not).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Lip Synching?? I heard a trumpet but don't see one. The singer also has no mike! Please "shed" (staying on topic) some light on this Turtle phenomenon!!:lol:

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I've seen other videos of them doing this song, at least one was carrying a trumpet in them. Notice I said carrying, not sure if he was the actual player on the track or not......Buck:oops:

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    There are no guitar chords for their electrics and the drummer is twirling his sticks instead of using them on the drums. Funny ..... if you know the song as well as I do ....:roll: .... that's the radio hit. That's the version on the album. They are totally lip and instrument synching. I'm not sure why they did that back then, but it was pretty common.

Turtle

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah , I noticed that too! That paisley tie is pretty cool! Maybe you can get some carpet/wall material like that (staying on topic!)! Are they wearing "turtleneck" sweaters too!!?? ROFLROFLROFL

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I might rip up the Brazilian cherry floor and install those twister dots instead. That would make it a groovy pad .... huh?

Turtle

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Jobim just rolled over in his grave, and the girl from Ipanema is now kicking all the turtles she can find washed up on the beach. So when she passes, each one she passes, you go - Ouch!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011