Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey! Only 98 more pages and this thread can overtake the popular VINTAGE HORN EYE CANDY.

:D

Turtle

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Notice all the chairs randomly placed around ..... Somebody was stoned when they came up with that set. That was back in the day ..... I remember that The Who showed up at one or other of the big California music festivals in the 60's (could have been the Monterey Pop Festival) and did their schtick of destroying their instruments on stage and the stoned California crowd was shocked. I suppose the British crowds were enjoying the demolition but the California hippy was all about peace and love ...... The Who were like outpatients from an insane asylum and had the crowd staring in disbelief with mouths wide open. Funny! I was around 9 and asked my Mom how they were going to play their next concert. She told me they probably had more guitars.:lol:

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First of all Turtle, if you remember all of this, you were severely underdosed within the "stoned" crowd category. Additionally, do not blame the Brits for the instrument distruction. It is accepted fact that ALL young musicians of that day got this idea from Charles Mingus, well know to distroy insturments (and musicians) on stage.

Like I wouldn't know what that's like!

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I always wondered WHERE they got all the disposable instruments ..... I mean I saw two electrics, a bass and a full drum kit bite the dust. Yeah, less baggage for the trip back to England ..... but where do the trashable guitars come from? Imagine the headaches the tour manager must have had .....

"Okay, right. That's 10 dates in America .... We're gonna need .... let's see ..... The guys regular axes and 40 extras. Yeah, that'd be around 20 guitars, 10 basses and 10 kits." (Scratches his head) "We're gonna need an extra bus. We're not charging enough.":dontknow:

Turtle

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I was 9. Mingus destroyed basses??? ...... You have to be making that up. I can't picture that.:lol:

"Honey, let's NOT sit in the front row this time .....I got splinters from the last concert."

Turtle

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes

No

Just think of the carnage he could have done if he also used the bow. To a turtle, gives a whole different meaning to getting a gig!

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I still can't believe it. You know how much those things cost??? WHAT jazz audience would enjoy that???:lol::shhh::-P

Let's see some YouTube proof.:noway:

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mingus was only credited with doing it once. "Mingus reportedly destroyed a $20,000 bass in response to audience heckling at New York's Five Spot." 20G is a lot to destroy on a jazz players "salary"!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks tobylou8 for finding this post, but even once was all it took. Young musicians including the Who were taken by this display and encorporated his distruction into their acts. This was actually a quote from an interview I read a while ago with members of The Who.

But turtle, you can easily type in Charles Mingus on the video section of some of Mingus performances. One such performance his bass slips on stage and the audience giggles. As he continues to play you can here the profanity fly as he has a few choice comments to make about the audience. He was gifted, but angered easily.

So in keeping with the theme of the thread (which since VB's posting of the Turtles has drifted some - Yes isn't this like the pot calling the kettle black) don't let all the comments coming into you lead to the frustrated distruction of your shed. The reason why this thread is going epic, is the topic weaves in and out so many personal threads that in some way does relate to your trials as you decide on how you will complete this project.

My advice is not to ever finish your shed as the issues addressed on this thread are so cool!