Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:-o

Wow.

Turtle

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

If I finish the Shed, we'll never catch EYE CANDY with the Thread.:dontknow:

(Where else but on TM could a sentence like that make any sense?):lol:

Turtle

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Am wondering how much heckling would be required for turtlejimmy to destroy his shed.....

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Seems awfully tight Turtle; not only for movement, but what about acoustics, playing in somebody's ear etc.:-P

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Hahahaha .... It would take a lot I guess. My own personal bouts with hecklers has been pretty limited. I think the worst one was during a regular weekly jam at a coffee house that I used to go to. It attracted some good players but also this one particular drunk who zeroed in on me a few times. He was sort of an idiot (when he wasn't specifically bothering someone), shouting out weird things during songs and other odd behavior. He was also quite large, outweighing me by at least 125 pounds. One night he gave me a particularly hard time, accusing me of not putting enough emotion into my singing (not true, he was drunk:lol:), and other somewhat more offensive stuff. I decided to leave early and as I was getting ready to head out, he suddenly thrust his hand out towards me, as if to shake my hand. I'm way too nice a lot of the time for my own good, and it seemed like a positive gesture anyway, so I shook it. As I was letting go, he grabbed my hand hard and squeezed. When it started hurting I yelled in his face: "Let go of my hand!" I mean, it just came out, I didn't think .... When he still wouldn't let go and I got worried about damage to my hand, I yelled, "NOW!!!" with a kind of sonic blast (like a trumpet) in his face. That did it, and he let go, leaving my free hand in a perfect position to reconnect with his nose (especially since he was still sitting and I was standing). It's a good thing I didn't (discretion is wise, usually) because I was later told that he doesn't feel any pain when he's that drunk (kind of a recurring thing with him) and that I'd likely be toast.:-(

Hecklers suck.

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  6. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've put my wringing wet 150 pound body untrained in any sort of martial arts between guys before. That usually gets the attention of the bartenders, who know me as a quiet, friendly sort of guy. For example,if somebody makes a racist comment about someone else, I'll slip into a seat between them, establish eye contact with the bartender and point with my eyes. The bartender does the rest.

My conducting class in college has paid off in numerous ways.

I won't step between you and gmonaday, 'cuz your banter is fun to follow! If your shed isn't totally soundproof, however, you might want to install a web cam for the perimeter and an inside lock--you never know who might be lurking out there!

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Another guy came running across the street once, while I was a street musician in the middle of a song, and quickly grabbed a bunch of the money out of my case (probably amounted to $15) and ran off with it. There was no chance to chase him as there wasn't anybody around to look after my (expensive) guitar. Then, the guy stopped a half a block away and threw the money all over the street and went screaming off and disappeared. Not exactly a heckler but WEIRD. I figured the money was now cursed and I just left it and went home.

Oh, and I'm not paranoid anymore ...... it was just advertisting.:-)

Turtle

8. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When working at a Women and Children's shelter I would see "deals" going down on our surveillance cameras. I'd walk over to the guys, introduce myself, tell them they had been taped, and told them I had already called the Police (the Police part a blatant lie). Talk about paranoid! "Poof!" and they were gone. Hmm, maybe I'm a magician!

9. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    My drunk story is, I was playing an "Over 55" recreation building opening. Some old drunken gal "just wanted to touch my horn", while I was standing up playing a solo. The reason I never saw her coming is many times I have my eye (only have 1) closed. I fugure it is difficlult to play horn without front teeeth, so I was some mad. After I explained the consequences for a trumpet player to the management, they showed her the door.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Well, we just went -- in a few days -- from 94 degree weather to 50 degree weather.:stars: That little 700 watt oil filled electric heater is able to handle our "instant winter" like a champ. But, not if I leave the ventilation system on all night.

The acoustics inside are still too bright for the acoustic guitar (and I'm guessing the electric with some volume) but the trumpets are sounding good in there. It's easier to hear your intonation when the environment is brighter. It's weird, you can't overload the shed (with sound waves) by wailing loudly on the trumpet, but my acoustic, banged on loudly, totally jumbles the sound in there, so much that I can't sing over it or hear the notes clearly. Go figure.:dontknow:

As for soundproof qualities, I played hours yesterday, sometimes at very loud volumes (on the trumpet) and then asked my neighbor what she thought of the trumpet playing. "What trumpet playing?"

:-)

Rock and roll.

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011