Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Bruce Molinari

Bruce Molinari New Friend

Jan 4, 2011
    Turtle, I'm Structural Steel Engineer but I have had some exposure to soundproofing. Even though it wasn't my job I did get to watch them soundproof underground (Subway) train stations. It's spooky watching a train pull in quietly. I'm sure you have calculated your actual living space after the insulation is in, but something else. If you have ever practiced in a sound proof practice room it's a little depressing having your sound disappear into the walls. It's great playing in a hard room that you can make ring. The ultimate is playing up in the mountains. Some paneling can brighten up the sound. Different paints can brighten up the sound also. This is a whole course of study and barrels of money can be spent on it. You're a trumpet player so you have a good head. A little experimenting and I'm sure you will fine the proper balance.

2. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Bruce, I hear what you are saying but in my experience too much ringing in a small room can turn detail to mush. My room is not dead, but I did need foam on one side and a bit on the roof to make it acceptable for playing. I agree the drums are a problem, we only rehearse with the snare, hi-hat and ride. Its not great but good for us to get a notion of what the drummer intends to play. Note before a gig, we ALWAYS get a good 4hour or so rehearsal in a large hall we rent for balance and any other issues we don't always spot in the small space.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The ideal situation, as I picture it, is soundproofiing enough so that if you stand outside, with everything closed up, you can barely hear that something is going on inside. That's for the neighbors, at 5 am.

Also, the INSIDE acoustics, ideally, should be good enough to WANT to practice in there. Doesn't need to be great ........ The only recording I can see doing in there is laying a solo trumpet track or a singing track over what we already have, or acoustic guitar and voice together.

It's sounding like I'll be happier and get better results here if I keep it focused on what I thought of building it for: an office/practice room, and not for a small group.

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    We're still working on it .... working out the details. The old metal storage shed, an ugly rusted number that's been there 40+ years, is not as easy to demolish as I had thought. It is fun though .... especially when I put down the screwdriver and picked up the crowbar.:woop:

In fact, we were having so much fun we banged out another 4 feet of space along one side .... so a 10 x 12 or even a 10 x 14 can now go in that spot.:-)

I've totally given up the idea of hosting a small jazz ensemble (other people have better food usually, anyway) with a piano and drums. It's just too small a space. The new plan is to buy a nice piano that other people will enjoy playing and have a drum kit that's mostly stacked up in the corner. I can spread them out and practice by myself when I feel like, but there simply isn't enough room for drums, piano, people, furniture, etc.

I'll keep this thread posted about the materials I find to use and what they cost. Since I'm doing this mostly at Home Depot, those prices will probably be good all over. More later .....

Turtle

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've got an old 10X12 shed that's just got to go as a very long time, + 50 years, has not been easy with it, and as a potting shed had built it benches as severely cramped floor space. To replace it I've been looking at all that Lowe's and Home Depot offer and found nothing that fits both my needs and limited budget and still these were just framed shells with small roof ventilators, some also with one or two small non thermal windows and no electricity, with flooring being extra on many. So, also I am told that to add electricity, would require I obtain a building permit where I live and all component's would have to comply with fire safety code. Too, if I were to want elecricity I'd also have to erect it 25 feet away from our property line and that would not be viable where the old shed presently sits. Yeah, adequate electricty could also solve problem of heat and AC. Next, if one is to utilize for small band ... where is the rest room ... and bingo ... with such, here it becomes a residence and must sit on a separate property lot as requires a suryeyed plat and Deed cutaway from some property that does not jeopardize its situs and status. Duh, I'm going to forget I even want such as shed for more than outside storage of garden tools, our bicycles and some plastic storage boxes, such as those we just re- packed our Christmas decorations in. I'm looking around to lease an old closed warehouse with option to lease hold renovate and potentially buy, but only if I can get sufficient investors to share the expense and the space and I do have one interested party on tap.

6. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    My Dad had a 10' x 12' shed/workshop from Home Depot erected in his backyard in California, complete with electricity. He had to get a permit and inspection, but if he was able to do it in CA, I'm sure you can do it wherever you live.

7. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    Why go inside, why not go outside. I have a summer home on cape cod on the water. On Sunday night I gather my jazz playing friends, go out on the deck, plug in amps etc and we put on a summer jazz concert. We normally have 20 to 40 people sitting on the beach and 25 or so boats on the water all enjoying the music. Every one brings their own drinks and has a great time. We play for a couple of hours and stop when the sun starts to go down.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hey - That's really a great idea. It sounds like a great event for your group. I wonder how the old-folks in the rest home next to my back yard will feel about me doing that.:shhh:

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I think a shed would be cheaper than a summer home on the cape.:shock:

Outside around here means going into the National Forest. If I'm hiking in the woods, almost anywhere, I like to make a lot of noise, to announce myself as it were, especially in bear country. What better way to say "hello" than with a trumpet???:lol:

Turtle

10. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Man, we used to rehearse at a Public Storage that had dedicated one hall on the 2nd floor for bands. They carpeted floor, ceiling and walls and had 2 outlets on every wall. One room was 10' x 10' and we did fit(4), though cramped. There were 2 metal bands on either side of us we nicknamed one 'Death' and the other 'Angst.' And boy was it a battle if we all showed up at the same time. The bass players had to keep turning up because it went right through the walls, so then WE had to turn up.

Point being, sounds like the majority of the time this will be used for your personal trumpet 'shed' with friends only coming over occasionally. You'll have plenty of space, just go for the 10' x 12' if you can. It's surprising what 2 extra sq ft can feel like.