Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My wife says she has has sold it, but hasn't had any in stock for over a year. She said for me to look at the catalogue in the County ABC Office here in Jackson and ask if they've any in one of the other stores in this county. (This is a dry county viz no whisky/whiskey sold by the drink in bars). Even NC warehouse has reduced the imports they carry. The blunt fact is that in this area it doesn't sell to the locals ... only to an infrequent tourist ... despite the growth in the Hispanic population. Don't feel bad, they don't carry premium Scotch and just a smattering of lesser single malts, and the latter when what they have are are sold will not be reordered. As stated, such doesn't matter to me anymore ... whatever you like ... enjoy it. Just if you ever come this way, my hospitality is limited to coffee, iced tea and Diet Coca-Cola, the latter blended with Splenda by the bottler.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:-o

Turtle

"All toes on deck .... batten down the shell"

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Watch out for fava beans, TJ!

Is the pure agave stuff the blue color? I've seen some documentary on the production of it......Buck:oops:

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    And Chianti .... I don't think I've had even a glass of the stuff since seeing that movie (that shall remain nameless).

Nice Agave tequila often comes in 3 grades ........ Distilled, Reposado (aged), and Anejo (more aged). You can see the difference in color (it's never blue). The older ones are generally smoother, but not always. Popular brands that you can find at restaurants here are: Don Julio, Don Eduardo (my fav), Patron, Casadores, etc .....

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Shed update ....

It's rocking .... I'm getting in at least an hour more practice time in there every day and nobody in the neighborhood has a clue. My volume on the trumpet is going up and it's sounding fuller. Kind of liberating. It's also much easier to hear in there .... intonation is easier with the bright sounding space, as opposed to my old dull sounding practice room.

I am noticing some things that need adjusting, before I start recording. The fridge for example, is so LOUD that my KORG tuner picks it up and displays it as a D (sometimes Bb). My computer also is loud enough to get a KORG reading ....:stars:

That is pushing me towards the TASCAM recording system (instead of a comp based system).

And I noticed that some furniture isn't getting inside the Shed (with it's new hardwood floor). The worst offender is my Manhasset music stand, the metal feet of which are so jagged and sharp, you could use them for a gouging tool.:shhh: What's up with that??? I had to buy another music stand (a ProLine), with rubber pods on the feet, for use in the shed.

And Gmonady, the wet bar couldn't fit so I created one on the top of the ventilation unit. So far it's only stocked with water, coffee (espresso maker) and Tequila. Beer's in the loud fridge.:-)

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nothing wrong with recording everything in D major, D minor, D Droian....

So in this case... D scales and modal tunes ONLY IS A MUST!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Rubber tips are available for most stands, new or replacement, at my local Lowe's hardware. Fitted the same to portable student stands I'm using when tutoring. Mighta saved you some pennies.

Too, sounds like you're nearing reno to your shed viz an addition for break time.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I like the key of D as well as anyone .............. but the quality of the sound coming from the fridge .... highly mechanical kind of electrical motor sound.:thumbdown: Think high pitched whiny ratchet tool. I'm either going to have to a.) Retrofit it with a muffler system, or b.) UNPLUG IT.:shock:

Turtle

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Good point, always use rubbers, they will keep you safe... This has been a public service announcement.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mercy killing is legal in Oregon I guess.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011