Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Great advice all, thanks!

Bruce,

There are some parts of Oregon that are sponge-like but not here. I'm in a banana belt, surrounded by vineyards (we have 3 wineries in town, and a herd of buffalo). The most pressing need I'll have is for ventillation and coolness in the summer (not THIS summer :stars: but a normal summer).

I'll be checking out the new more soundproof building materials that are offered now, for finishing the inside. If I can get it to sound good inside, with acoustical treatment materials like bass traps and such, I'll use it for recording too. I don't want it to be too lively, acoustically, or too dead.

I may also be able to squeeze a bigger size shed on that spot ..... Like 9 x 12.

Turtle

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I've read this thread with interest -- and would second Rowuk's (and others') opinion that the best practice space is bigger rather than smaller. My double garage is about 5m x 7m, single brick walls, concrete floor, large metal door and insulated metal roof and that's the only room in my house I like the sound of (half the garage is filled with junk in cardboard boxes which acts as a baffle). But since I can hear the garage band down my street (about 200m away) clearly when they play I am sure I am heard by them when I'm on.

So instead I play in the boardroom at my employer's offices which is really big - 20m x 10m or thereabouts - in the evenings, and am talking to my boy's school about getting use of their assembly hall on the nights it's not hired out to martial arts groups.

Both of those spaces are just too hard to come by in a domestic setting unless you are quite wealthy or fortunate I think.

Since you are committed to continuing with your practice shed, it would be interesting to hear a recording from inside when it's done.

--bumblebee

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sounds like a better plan to me Turtle - a couple of wines and a good steak .. ROFL

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Ted,

Yep. They're quite friendly looking beasts .... maybe a picnic under a tree next to the field they're grazing in. And then some practice .... :dontknow:

They're not prone to stampeding, are they???

Turtle

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Although I've seen the American Bison aka buffalo, I've not observed their stampeding; yet, from what I've read it has been said they do. Methinks they are bovine and I'm not going to chance it. When I was much much younger, I was chased by a bull (dairy cow's other half) and that was enough forever after to advise me to keep my distance. I did luck out and get over the fence before I was impaled. Warning: don't play football, soccer, or rugby close to a pasture. If you do, it would be better to say goodbye to your ball than try and recover it, if it ever went into the pasture. Too, I sold my 45-70 Lee-Craig, and wouldn't want to shoot a buffalo any way unless it was a matter of life or death to a human.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Wow, I guess I am fortunate. Our house has a large (great) room on each floor, the builders shunning walls, so I have 33x16 ft spaces both upstairs and down in which to practice. This resulted in my getting the opposite sort of comments from my teacher: "Can you try to play softer? You are still louder than I'd like you to be."

This past year I joined a local private music school just two blocks from my office, and I practice between 30 and 60 minutes there almost every weekday. My work is flexible so I can come in early to build in time at mid-day. The rooms at the school are typical - small, accoustic insulated (except for the heating ducts). As a result of practicing there, I have managed, not consciously, to reduce my volume, and increase my efficiency (this a more conscious effort), i.e. not blowing as hard. This last season of lessons I got comments on how I was playing softer, actually achieving ppp sometimes, so there is some anectodal evidence that practicing in a small space as well as a big one has some benefit to offer.

The move 11 years ago to the country was to escape the night lights of town and the screams of drunken college students, and that was before my comeback to trumpet, though I still played piano and guitar. A side benefit is that I could play outside on the porch almost anytime and not disturb my distant neighbors. The coyotes I am not too sure about, however.

7. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Turtle, I agree with those showing concern about the size of your practice pad 10' x 10' is too small. The echo effects and reverberations will drive you nuts as well as cause so much sound distortion that you'll never achieve the state to either be able to assess your music, nor enjoy it. i think you'd need somthing at least %50 larger.
    PS. strange coincidence, but my long-suffering wife has finally agreed to me getting a drum set. We were at a recent K.D. Lang concert here and the opening band featured the lead singer taking over the drum kit for a while. My wife got so enthused, she has expressed a desire to take a stab at the drums(she plays keyboard now).:thumbsup:

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Actually, 9 x 9 is the current footprint. :-( It is starting to sound very small, in fact I'm getting claustrophobic just thinking about it.:lol:

It's not that much smaller than the room I'm practicing in right now .... but the key to making this affordable is that we found a guy who normally designs complex chicken coups. He's really cheap. I can do the inside finishing with my cousin's help (he owes me), as well as any acoustical treatment to the inside, which is usually done with glue guns. I could pretty easily extend the deck/flooring to make it 9 x 12, but that's about it. I wouldn't do it just for a practice room for trumpet, but it will also be a (much needed) office for me and, very nice to work in there when power mowers/blowers are going on outside. I'll probably put a small spinet piano at one end, there are so many nice ones on Craigslist for cheap, it would almost be crime not to get one.

Turtle

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Turtle, the attachment shows a bunch of blokes who have got together (admittedly here in Oz) and they SHARE their shed. Do you have a mate with a barn? Every bloke needs a shed.

Men's Shed Home Page

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :-?

Ted,

The only barn owner I know is not very trumpet friendly. It's been converted into a barn sized recording studio but the owner doesn't want me practicing in there.:evil:

I might go and talk with the University ... to see if I can arrange to use their practice rooms, especially the big ones. Some of those classrooms are roughly the size of a jazz club, with baby grand pianos. It's summer and they're mostly empty.

Turtle

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011