Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Turtle, take my advice from a previous post. If you want to catch a buffalo SAFELY, dig a pit, line the bottom of the pit with the ambers saved up from previous barbequing, then line the rim of the pit with little green lentils. When the buffalo comes by to take a pea, you kick it in the ash hole.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is a great idea. I did this while attending medical school as the medical school would frown at my practicing in the anatomy labs. Talk about the ability to utilize dead space in a large building. And the temperature in there was just about the level that Clifford Brown liked to record at. But I digress. Please read on:

So I asked the Department of Music to practice in the rehearsal rooms and they were more than fine with allowing me this option. People coming by would listen to me, some would sit in, and as an end result, I actually got several gigs out of this arrangement.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Gmonday lays out the perfect plan for catching a buffalo.

:lol:

Did I say I wanted to CATCH one???ROFL

No, I don't want one. I'm not allowed any more pets.:dontknow:

Turtle

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In that case, don't take on Kingtrumpet as a boarder...

...eventhough I am sure he could build you one fabulous practice heaven out of local materials. I've seen a picture of the house KT built out of stone from fields in the area where he lives. It is quit impressive. But remember he IS a trumpet blowing animal.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    He's not house trained.:lol:

Turtle

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Practice heaven progress:

I had a conversation with the chicken coup guy that led me to believe that he doesn't really know what he's doing and that we might end up with a glorified chicken house instead of a secret trumpet studio masquerading as a storage shed. I just can't figure out why we would need a "row of egg bins.":dontknow:

(Chicken) scratch that guy.:thumbdown:

Next up, "The Shed Guys."

Okay, this is more like it. Just like Home Depot, they come out and build on your site. About the same quality, it seems. They are a whole lot cheaper. And they know what they're doing. We're ordering a 10 x 12. Looks like they can get to it in about 2 weeks.:thumbsup:

Turtle

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    There are some who have thought that egg containers help the sound quality ... not me, as I don't want any fire hazard. Here, If I had the money, sheds as large as 12' x 18' could be slid off the delivery truck the next day onto my specified site. Inside is bare bones, and on most there is nothing but exterior siding ... might work as a storage shed, but not as a studio-workshop. Too, might work as a chicken "COOP", but ordinances in this town prevent me from raising such on this property. Besides I don't think I could compete with all the Perdue coops in this county.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    12 x 18 .... that's a good size, Ed. For it to be useable, the inside needs to be finished. We're going to do insulation and wallboard, electric wiring, and some sort of floor (cheap linoleum or something like it).

Also, to be comfortable, it needs to be taller than the average storage shed. The Shed Guys offer 6', 7', and 8' foot walls. I'm thinking of going for the seven foot walls.

Turtle

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Were I, I concur on the 12x18 floor space is adequate , but I'd like exterior housing code sheathing beneath the siding. No screened side vents as are common to storage sheds! Roof eaves to gable ridge venting. Ceiling 8' high and also finished to housing code inclusive of insulation in gable above. Electric heat beneath engineered laminate flooring laid over concrete sub floor. AC coils in gable with down feed flow. Of course, full 220v electric service. Minimum of 4 common thermal windows and a common exterior insulated steel door. Estimate given in Northern VA, before I went broke, was $130,000.00 but I couldn't build it anyway due to homeowner's restricting covenants.

Anyway, it might not be the best quality sound in this old and mostly uninsulated house, but I'm not disturbing anyone and I make do. The drawback is that I cannot tutor in our house due to residential code (No commercial venture allowed). Such would also apply if I built the optimum practice studio on our property. Reasonable, I can rent local real estate office back room after 6:00 PM as is near ideal. The owner is a cousin of my wife (and I'm beginning to wonder who in this small town isn't a cousin, albeit distant).