Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

...but, but, but, Turtle ... they come with their own horns ROFL.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    But they can't play music with their horns!;-)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh, that's Bull! They can rub them together if you get more than one bull in the hole. And if they are out of tune, well, then its the pits!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    most of the time I am -- but just in case there is a drain in the basement:lol:

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes the acoustics of the house are awesome I think -- especially since the walls are actually 3 feet thick at the bottom (3" of foam insulation between an outer stone wall, and YES a stone wall on the inside) --
    and YES -- I do have a problem with obsessive compulsive tendencies --AND making everything "bullet-proof":shock::dontknow:
    OK - it is a stone house, it doesn't have to be bulletproof -- the only rule is that you can throw "glass at the stone house"ROFL---then I can come by and throw stone at your glass houseROFL I am soooo funny it makes me laughROFL

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The materials a house could be built out of are beyond our imagination ... at least mine ... but I've seen the outer walls made from many unusual materials, but the one that seems to me to be the most outstanding for sound proofing is bales of hay that is then covered on the outside with gunnite in a stucco manner. Another used mortared beer bottles the bottoms toward the exterior. Another had shingled sides of aluminum that were cut from beer and soda cans ... well really this last one was only a remote mountain hunting cabin without many amenities.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Normally, I don't mind receiving horns ..... :shock:

Turtle

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Practice Shed Update:

We ordered it from the shed guys, a 10x12 shed with 7 foot walls. I asked them to insulate the floor, so that, along with insulating the inside and putting up SOUNDboard (new high tech stuff instead of sheetrock), we should acheive a good level of soundproofing.

My cousin suggested that we stop at that point and check out the acoustics inside. If the sound isn't that great and needs some help, I'll put up some acoustic treatment type panels and bass traps in the corners. With luck, it will be sound tight enough for me to practice at odd hours and acoustically nice enough to record in.

This is a good idea (building one of these) .... that way, whenever somebody tells you that you need to get back to the shed, you know exactly where to go.

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Turtle, as you're a doubler on drums, I'd find it easier for you to beat a Celtic bodran than play trumpet in the woods if all you want to do is chase the wildlife. My own is close to 18" in diameter and I can get the beat going so rapid that it emulates distant thunder. Our cat scurries to hide under our bed when I do this in the house. I've pondered if the Brits used these when they first went to India to chase tigers away from them. Here locally in NC they hunt deer from stands, so to say they just wait for the deer to walk by. I know the deer will run from the sound of a bodran as I've just recently chased the deer from the copse of woods behind our house with it ... such to prevent them from coming into and eating the crops my wife and our adjacent neighbor has planted in their garden. A bodran is played with a single hand double ended stick with the tonality of a large tom tom drum.

I've now an arrangement to use an unused back half of a real estate office on the main street of Jackson NC from 7:00 to 9:00 PM to tutor students on trumpet this fall. At that time adjacent businesses are closed so no disturbing problems even though not soundproofed. In lieu of tutoring, being 25' by 30' with 18" high ceiling it would also be ideal for ensemble group to practice in. Security too is great with the county sheriff's office just across the street. HVAC and restroom available!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds like with what you're building, getting sent to the shed would be a desired "punishment". Gives me the incentive to be bad, to be very bad. At this point in my life, I don't need this extra incentive, as as it relates to the TM community, I have been bad, I have been very bad. So let me know when your are done with the shed, 'cause it's off to the shed for me.

By the way, I'd leave it in good shape when I'm, and perhaps, just perhaps, you may find that I added a wet bar to the structure.