Practice Heaven.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    SHED'S UP ..... uh huh ...... looks okay. :thumbsup:

Turtle

2. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Awesome Jimmy. You should give us a quick video tour...

3. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Pics or it didn't happen. :)

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    These guys (the Shed Guys) did a great job .... the walls were pre-made in their warehouse so they only had to build the floor (which I had them insulate) and the roof. It all went up in 5 hours.

Inside, even though it's not finished (insulation and soundboard), it feels like a room, not a shed. These 7' walls are a lot taller than Home Depot's (so called) 7' walls .... if the walls are too short on one of these sheds, it feels small inside ..... like a shed. This is great. I'm just not sure where I'm going to put the piano.:dontknow:

Turtle

I'll post up some pics when the inside is done and it's ready for trumpet practice. Right now, it just looks like a nice storage shed. I am very excited about this.:play:

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Turtle, I do hope you can enjoy your new shed the year round.

As to a piano, it wouldn't be a question of where first, but how I could transport it inside ... too many memories and problems of getting an 11 ft Steinway grand piano into my parents' living room and then reinforcing the floor to support it. Had to take out front windows, sister the floor joists in the basement and still had to add additional jack posts. Then when we sold it, a lot more in reverse. Thankfully, I've now downsized to a small Yamaha keyboard, and even that is now more often cased and top shelved in my office now.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Don't you just love how small trumpets are?

Wow, Ed, that's a good story. I've never heard of a floor needing to be reinforced underneath a piano. Good deal about these sheds is that the regular doors are very wide. A Steinway would go inside the shed, but nothing else.:shock:

Even a small spinet sized upright takes a lot of room. I also need a small desk for computer and printer .... tiny fridge, wet bar, couch, music stand, guitar stand, stereo system, subwoofers, etc etc etc .... It's getting crowded in there.:shhh:

Turtle

7. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    What about a good electronic piano? I have played them in the store a couple times and was amazed at how good the key action is these days compared to what they used to be like. I think I will likely get on in 4 years or so when my son is old enough to start taking lessons. (My siblings and I all started piano at 5 before taking up a 'real' instrument at 6 or 7!)

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Craigph,

I'm leaning more and more that way .... an electronic piano keyboard could sit on my desk. And they never need to be tuned. I'm planning on doing space saving things like mounting my monitor speakers on the wall and using my small HD television for my comp monitor, to double for watching movies, using the top of the mini fridge to park the trumpet and hanging microphones from the ceiling, rather than having them on stands. Obviously, I've been thinking about this for a while.:lol:

Turtle

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Very old house as originally had no sub flooring and then originally only 3/4" thick pine and the joists were mostly 24" on center. It is rare now to see 11 ft Steinway grand pianos, most now are only 9' and then there are the baby grands even shorter. Although never a pro, IMO my Mother played the piano with pro concert quality albeit she sometimes tutored others on piano. Too, there was an Ivers & Ponds by Baldwin folded spinet in the living room and a Wurlitzer upright spinet in the front foyer. Anyway, often when she played it seemed the whole house vibrated until the flooring was reinforced. If you think this retrofit was easy, consider all the ductwork, electrical and plumbing (gas) that had to be interrupted and somehow relocated. That old house has now been gutted, insulated, all new thermal windows, converted to three apartments adding two new baths and renovating the original bath (as had been a much earlier upgrade from the outhouse) and Appachlachian oak flooring throughout excluding baths and kitchens and basement. The conversion to apartments each with centalized HVAC took a year and 5 months with addition of 3 car separate garage. I'm not the accountant of my Father's trust, but I'm told that the costs of conversion to apartments was finally offset in 1999.

10. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    What are you doing for electricity?