Practice help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterjake, Aug 7, 2012.

1. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    I hope something like this hasn't been posted already, if it has im sorry! Recently I got back in the habit of playing everyday again and I ran into a problem on how to practice. Before when I played I really didn't pay attention to what I did to get range up or improve tone, it just happened. Now i'm stuck! Ive been told by several "pros" that playing some clarkes studies will help my in general, and thats all I need. I honestly find it hard to believe that is all I have to do. Others say "just play some slow ballads that cover high and low range, play them slow and beautifuly." And they stressed to keep them pp-mp. I think both together sound good. Im not looking to be a lead and play high notes. I know if I practice right my range, tone, endurance and the whole package will improve and it can't be rushed. I would love some opinions! (Money is tight so private lessons are out of the picture.)

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How can I improve on this excellent piece of advice isolated in your post. The major practice advice I can give is don't over-do-it. Start out with 20 minute practices, add 5 minutes on to this each week until you get to the practice length you can afford in a day. Do not miss more than a day of practice or you will loose what you developed... yep, just that fast. Like you said, don't be rushed, let time work on your side. Use material that motivates you, if is ballads so be it, if it scale patterns from Clark... so be it. Don't be rushed and play relaxed... and listen to the sound advice that started my post as a quote.

3. trumpeterjake

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    So would you encourage quiet playing in all registers? I was a perfectionist so when I used to practice I would play something untill I was happy with the quality of sound, I also recorded myself to check phrasing and errors. Is that how I SHOULD be practicing now or were my assumtions that I made years ago wrong?

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Actually that sounds really good. Practicing softly is a good idea!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I would encourage quiet playing in a comfortable range. When it begins to get uncomfortable, don't keep repeating IF you are repeating the same mistakes. Move on to something more enjoyable (for me that would be Charlie Parker BeBop lines). Don't be a perfectionist, our you will be perfectly frustrated. Again accept that it is time to move on and with a fresh attitude on repeating these passages when you return, it should go better.

6. trumpeterjake

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Thanks for the advice! I was more a perfectionist on the lines of caring about the musicality of the piece. Like did it flow right. Was the release of the high note sloppy. Did I play a classical phrase with forte dynamics like a shout chorus, or did i glide over the notes. I didn't beat myself up ever and I still don't. I'm just normaly the guy thats over prepared for something.