Practice Ideas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TPT81, Apr 14, 2008.

1. TPT81

TPT81 New Friend

Apr 17, 2006
    Andrew-

I've really enjoyed your posts, particularly the practice models you have suggested on rhythm and first attacks.

Recently, I have been working a lot on my descending slurs. It seems that any interval larger than a minor third is uncertain as to whether it will be smooth, clean, and without any junk in between notes. I think I'm not really blowing through the notes, and have had some progress in the last couple days, but was wondering if you had any ideas on how to practice these slurs.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Zeb

2. mobetta

mobetta New Friend

Feb 22, 2008
    I struggle with this as well and look forward to hearing Andrew's thoughts.

3. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Hi,
    Rolf Smedvig said once that it's always easier to go up than down. I really find that to be true with my playing. When I am going upwards towards a note I know that I am going to have to work harder in order to get the result I want. When I am going down however I often forget that I need to use the same focus only in reverse. Think of it as a standard transmission car. As you go faster you shift to a higher gear. As you slow down you have to down shift or the car will stall. In this example imagine that the air is the transmission. As we go up the air needs to be faster. As we go down the air needs to be slower. With both directions you will need effort. That's pretty simplified, but I hope the point makes sense.
    Here is what I would do specifically for your question. First of all don't worry about getting the slurs perfectly clean. In fact I would suggest that you put in more notes. Take an C octave downward slur for example. Before you play the interval play the scale from middle C to low C slurred. Pay attention to how your air will slow down and your lips will relax to get the right vibration as you descend. Now try it as a arpeggio taking note of the same thing. What we are going for is a very smooth but also quick transfer of air speed and a relaxation of the lips. Now try playing C-E-C. Then C-Db-C. Really try an keep the air relaxed and natural. I do this practice routine going in either direction.
    I hope that you find this helpful.
    Best,
    Andrew