Practice - Less is More?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by neal085, Apr 29, 2015.

1. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I try to practice every day of the work week, every morning before work. Weekends are pretty much a crap shoot, because we always have lots of stuff going on, but I never miss practices during the week. It seems that I'm often crunched for time and some days can only muster a 15-minute warm-up and a few exercises. I find I'm then rushed to get to work on time and so start the day (and sometimes the week) in a very poor frame of mind. Mondays seem to be the worst days, but they are by no means exclusive.

So the last two weeks I just skipped Monday. Didn't even try. I took my time with breakfast, got to work early, got my week kicked off in an orderly fashion, put in some extra time on the clock and got stuff done, then had Tues-Fri to practice leisurely for an hour or more each day.

I found I was more focused and had much better practices. I didn't feel rushed or stressed, and that made it easier to play correctly without too much pressure. I also found myself paying closer attention to the details, and avoiding mistakes.

More importantly, I find I'm enjoying the trumpet a lot more than I have in a while.

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    A sign that hangs back stage where I play says "keep calm and carry on" I see that as to just relax. For me practice time is also tough but I try to keep a routine. I've always been the type taut if I push to hard I lock up, but if I keep it cool I do much better

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If it's not fun, it ain't fun!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Our bodies are not consistent machines. The best advice if you are practicing smart is: miss as few days as possible. Our success is based on habit building, not 6pack building. Keeping that in mind, focusses the player towards lots of low impact repetitions. If we have a very heavy day or group of days playing, the day off is a simple survival strategy.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    as I was reading this it crossed my mind that we trumpet players sure do think a lot...

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    No, wishful thinking.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    A lot of us here are not professionals. We are not rated by any employer. If this setup seems to have hit a sweet spot for you, that's the one person who should have a say. I wouldn't begin to say you're wrong if this is working for you!
    We didn't all come out of the same mold- everybody's different.
    GOOD FOR YOU!

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Sure we do. The mode of sound production causes that. It is a rather unnatural thing, our bodies/brains have a lot of adaptation to go through to bring it to the level we aim for. Unless you're Sergei or Raphael Mendez, perhaps. Maurice Andre said once "with the trumpet, everything happens inside." The air column, the shape changes to the face muscles, all this constitutes a rather special kind of yoga. Makes us think...

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Bit of a pity that there's no real equivalent of Arban's Complete and Celebrated Method for learning how to think. Little wonder the world is such a muddled up place.