Practice Mutes

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by felix c, May 10, 2005.

1. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    Dear friends:
    I need more time to practice. my practice time its from 6 to 7:30 pm. I want to practice one more our from 8:30 to 9:30 I dont want to bother neightbors. So I have tested renuzit mute (too back preasure) harmon wahh wah Silent brass, and others the problem its that after use the mutes the sound and air resistance changes. Does anyahve tested any other mute with minimal back preasure?
    Thanks

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I use a cup mute with a handkerchief or rag inside the cup and this seems to work very well.

3. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hi Felix,

I like to use the Denis Wick adjustable cup mute for my practice mute. You can bring the cup right up to the bell for a nice soft sound with minimal pitch problems. I also think this is a great general mute for anybody because it can be used as a straight mute (without cup), cup mute, and practice mute. They go for about $50.

Kevin

4. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah...the denis wick is the way to go. I dont like to use it as a straight though, its a little too warm of a straight mute sound and a little dead, I like the denis wick straight for that.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have to jump in and give a vote to the Dennis Wick cup mute myself. I don't particularly care for whisper or practice mutes myself, and although any mute is going to add resistance, at least you can adjust the sound and volume with the DW cup mute. On top of all of that is the fact that it is a good cup mute too (although I have always preferred the plain old Stonelined cup mutes) and in a pinch, I like the idea that you can remove the cup and use it as a straight, although for straights, I have always preferred the Tom Crown (big band) and Vacchiano aluminum (legit) mutes.

6. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
  7. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Yep that's it! And that's a good price too!

8. MikePope

MikePope New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Lake City,Florida
    The Brass Spa practice mute by Bob Reeves is really nice it plays in tune pretty well and the resistance is not too bad either.

regards
    MP

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    That is, indeed, a good price for Denis' cup mutes - I only just get them cheaper than that and I work for him! :-o !

A new addition to the Wick range is an Eb/D cup mute, in the same style (in other words, you can still bring the cup right up to the bell). It is a fantastic practice mute for the Eb - something I haven't found in my mute travels.

I use the Wick practice mute, when I need a practice mute. I prefer the feel to when using other styles of mute, although I have done the cup mute trick as well. The piccolo practice mute is a must have, very useful for warming up before that first entry in Messiah :D

10. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    I did a rather extensive comparison / contrast with many practice mutes earlier this spring. The results are posted on Jim Donaldson's Trumpet Gearhead Website. Back pressure or "air flow" and openness are listed.

Hope this can help...

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida