Practice Mutes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FrancisA1915, Dec 15, 2005.

1. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    For me, the best way to practice is without a practice mute. But, there are times when it cannot be avoided. What would you say is the best practice mute? I use a Silent Brass system quite often. I like it a lot. I wanted to throw this out to the membership though.

Thoughts?

FrancisA

2. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I have both the Denis Wick prac mute and the Silent brass system. However, I usually do not bother with all the electrical stuff. Whenever I "have" to practice with it in, I usually just use the silent brass mute by itself. I keep it in my case sometimes. I find you can hear the notes for what they are better in that mute than the other ones. Sometimes the notes are too stuffy on the other one that I can't even figure out what pitch I am playing. (Well I know what pitch I should be playing, but it doesn't sound right to me).

Cheers
    Eric

3. ZeuSter

ZeuSter Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    I agree that practing with a practice mute should be held to a minimum,
    but when I do have to use a practice mute I use the Mannie Klien ShhShh Quiet Practice mute . it is the least stuffy of the ones I own. I also have two Peacemaker practice mutes , the original model and the newer version, the older model is actually a pretty decent mute( not too stuffy ) , the newer version is way too stuffy.

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    When I have to, I use the sssssssssshhhhhhhh mute by Bremner. I used the Peacemaker (without ear gear) for a long time until it fell into a pond in Central Park while I was practicing on a rock one day. (it rolled down the embankment, seemingly in slow motion, and plopped into a pile of ducks) I actually was able to retrieve it and still have it, but the water damage did it in. I keep it as a reminder of that incident. LOL. I have tried the Wallace and Silent Brass and didn't like either. Both were way too stuffy for me.

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I haven't put a lot of time or money into mutes. I try to play without them as much as possible. I use Harmon mutes when I need them. I have a straight, and a Cup Mute. Only reason I got them is that I needed them for a piece of music I was playing so now I have them when I need them.

Thought about a wow wow mute for a minute but I don't really have a use for one. I like the Harmon's because they produce good sound and don't sound too stuffy. They are a more affordable mute for me as well.

My two cents! :cool:

6. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    practice mutes suck..........
    I'll use the Hickman Soto Voce mute when I need to keep the volume down but that's as far as I'm willing to go.
    gregc

7. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    Yes. They do suck.

I am not suggesting that they are performance worthy at all. The number one thing that I HATE is missing my daily practice session. I see practice mutes not as a tool necessarily, but a necessary evil. I have to admit that I sound like S**T when I use one, but at least I get my workout in whether it be while the baby is snoozing, or I am at work during my prep period, or in a hotel, or where ever. :lol:

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I agree! the Hickman mute is great for a practice mute when you must have one.

9. LaserBoy

LaserBoy New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    Baltimore MD
    Trumcor makes a couple of good practice mutes.
    http://www.trumcor.com/
    The nice thing about their mutes is they are very
    light weight, and less tiring to hold the horn.

I also have a peacemaker, and it is good to have the
    stethoscope to prevent overblowing. (Get some soft
    rubber tips for the ear pieces -- much more comfortable
    than the hard plastic). But the peacemaker makes your
    articulation sound cleaner than it really is, so be mindful.

When we lived in apartments, I had to use a practice
    mute since the walls were so thin. If you have to use
    a practice mute all the time, be mindful that it can do
    weird things to your playingl. In that case, try to find
    at least one practice session a week where you don't
    use the mute (I went to an empty conference room
    at work on the weekends).

--LaserBoy

10. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Google Jim Donaldson's Trumpet Gearhead website and you will find a comparison / contrast chart I did last spring of many various practice mutes.
    Qualities, price, resistance, volume etc.

Hope this helps...

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida