Practice on a Curry 3C or a 3M

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tommyc, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc New Friend

Jun 27, 2008
    Hello,
    I have played a Bach 3C for 30+ years and recently switch to the Curry brand.
    I received my Curry 3C and 3M a few weeks ago. They both feel very comfortable and I used the 3C on a funk gig last weekend but got a little tired by the end of the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] set. Previously when I used my Bach 3C I was tired by the end of the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] set – so I gained endurance of one set.
    I am going to start using the 3M on these funk gigs.
    My question is: Is it better for me to do all my practicing on the 3C and then just use the 3M for the funk gigs (I kind of equate it to an on deck batter swinging 2 bats until he goes up to the plate) or am I better to do my practicing on the 3M?
    I got the 3C for the occasionally “legit” gigs – churches, wedding services etc… but I do most of playing in the funk band.
    Thanks.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Tommyc!

My own practice involves doing my routine on my "legit" mouthpiece; when I practice pieces, I use the mouthpiece I'll use on the gig. And yeah, I warm up on the mouthpiece I'm using on the gig before the gig.

3. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Practice on both. I warm up and do most of my fundamentals (and/or etudes, etc.) practice on my big/legit mouthpiece. But, like Vulgano Brother, I do specific practice on the mouthpiece I use on the gig. Once in a while I'll do fundamentals on the commercial mouthpiece for something different and to just be able to do it. You never know when you'll have to do an abbreviated warm up for a last minute call.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Practice mostly on the mouthpiece (and horn) you'll be using for the next gig. If it's a multi-horn gig (or a couple bang-bang gigs), practice more on the one you're least familiar with.