Practice on C Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hrg96, Oct 16, 2009.

1. hrg96

hrg96 New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    I am a comeback player who played mostly jazz in my first career. My question is for any orchestral/chamber players out there. Do you practice on C trumpet using traditional Bb books or practice on Bb and just work C trumpet for etude/solo/orchestral pieces?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Both/and. The Bb is generally considered the main trumpet, even if one plays primarily C trumpet in the orchestra. It is a good idea once in a while to practice "normal" stuff on the C--it works the chops a tad bit more, and "locks in" the C trumpet in general. When I first got a C, my professor had me play it in all groups (except jazz band) to force transposition. After playing everything down a step for several hours a day it becomes "natural" and weird things start to happen--one can start to automatically double transpose, taking things down an additional step, or look at a look and transpose it down an hour. Weird.

Have fun!

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I play both daily. However, most of the time I use my C. When playing things written for Bb I transpose them down a step in order to get the same pitch that was intended by the composer.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I play most of the orchestra stuff on Bb. The C is for the french stuff that need a different "touch".

5. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    Rowuk, you live in germany, correct? Would that explain why you use Bb for orchestra in general?

6. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    I play / practice mostly on Bb but play the C a minimum of weekly. Most of our quintet music is in Bb but we have a few pieces in C so we often use both trumpets at a rehearsal. While transposing up in Bb is common, it is also good to practice transposing down with the C too--never know when it may happen and it's good to know how to.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Rowuk has a "to die for Bb," and a street legal (like a Ford Pinto is street legal) "C." That's why.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, it is becoming more common to play C in Germany. I don't consider that necessarily to be an improvement. True, there is added accuracy on many parts. I think that is not the primary goal for music makers.

When my kids were small, I would read them fairy tales at night. Tinker Bell did not get a resounding bass voice. I think that it would be beneficial for many trumpet players to take a look at the music and make some decisions.

Mozarts Requiem has trumpet parts that can be played on a C trumpet, but the earthy "heaven or hell" of a natural trumpet fits much better. The Beethoven Symphonies in my opinion sound better with natural or at least cylindrical deep F trumpets. Mahler and Br├╝ckner when played on more traditional rotary trumpets, seem to get a different sparkle. Tschaikowsky Symphonies benefit from the Bb brazenness that I describe above. Schostakowitsch too.
    The French romantic and modern is C trumpet country as is quite a bit of the repertory coming out of the US since the turn of the last century.

Yes, we need it all. The consummate trumpeter needs a stall full of instruments and the guts to take a chance.

The most dissappointing concert in recent history was a Tschaikowsky 4 where the first trumpet player used a picc for certain parts. Timofei Dokschizer rolled over in his grave for sure!

To be honest, I like the sound of a Bb much better for so many things. It is not my goal to give every orchestral trumpet part that creamy smooth C sound. I like the brazen glare that Bb can get for many things.

Getting back to the original post: I practice with the horn I need for the gig coming up. If it is one that I don't use that often, it oes help to renew the acquaintance!

9. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    thanks for the insight, rowuk.

10. sonarerocks

sonarerocks Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2009
    Omaha NE
    In America though 99 percent of everybody in symphony orchestra's use c trumpets whatever the piece there playing is. Chris Martin ( principal in chicago) talks about how he practices with every horn he owns everyday for at least 15 minutes.