Practice on show day

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I concur, as this is the only way you can be assured that you've tuned your instrument to the ambient temperatures of the venue.

2. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    I would suggest doing a "mini" routine to make sure the basic fundamentals are covered, especially if the gig itself doesn't cover that kind of playing. By mini, I mean 10-15 minutes of slurring, tonguing and especially soft tones (if the gig is a high volume only gig.)

After doing two weeks, 2 shows a day of the circus, that mini routine would have gone a long way in keeping touch with tone production and other fundamentals. The gig was all amplified, no monitors, and I occasionally played harder to hear myself. You know the rest of the story.

10-15 minutes shouldn't waste you out. If it does, your fundamentals are off.

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    What works for me in Branson is a warm-up and practice on off days and just a warm-up on show days.
    Usually my warm-up is just buzzing on my mouthpiece as I drive to the theater.

A good cool-down on show days works wonders and buzzing on the way home saves time.

4. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    I play this routine designed specifically for me by Laurie Frink to be played before a rehearsal or a performance. It takes about 10-15 minutes.

• 6 Notes
    • Clarke Technical Studies - Second Study - Circle of Fourths
    • Harmonics
    • Bending Pedals
    • Chromatic Scale

Janell