Practice Positions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, May 1, 2015.

1. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Along with the aforementioned technique one should be relaxed as possible, breathe from the diaphragm, and play with as little stress as possible. The more efficient we become the more aspects of our playing and sound improves. I often post with all this as a given, I probably shouldn't assume everyone knows that. I'm interested in doing a Feldenkrais session. Anyone that's done that please post!

2. Michael T. Doublec

Michael T. Doublec Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2014
    Hi there,
    Sit or stand? When I practice physically non demanding music I will sit. When I am playing anything that requires power and upper register I usually stand. In any event I would say to practice the way you will perform. If you are doing symphonic stuff practice sitting as this will be how you perform. If the guy in front of you needs his hair parted on a different side or is wearing a toupee', stand, breathe, aim and blow!
    Mike Fesi

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    But when I rest my elbows on my knees that way, the bell points down!

Seriously, about 90% of my performing is done while sitting, so I practice about 90% sitting.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Physiologically speaking standing gives more diaphragm flexibility. I love being flexible!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When playing clams I sometimes assume the fetal position.

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I like practising standing. Mostly because I don't own chairs comfortable enough to practice properly.
    Our director in HS bought all new posture chairs, the best in the market for instrumentalisits: we had to sit on the front half with our backs upright.

Standing is better for your joints, our hips were not meant to be flexed all day. A lot of people end up with very tight hip flexors, decreased lower body strength, decreased hip flexibility, and hypolordosis at early ages nowadays and it's from sitting so daggone much.
    I've lobbied my boss for a standing desk, but no dice so far.

7. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Whoops, double post