Practice room to the Concert Hall

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I discovered something quite interesting recently. What you do in the practice room is not necessarily what will happen in the concert hall; especially under high pressured occasions. For a while i have not understood what is going wrong, but it finally clicked when i watched that Vizutti Masterclass posted here recently.
    I was thinking about my lip, and technique too much,but most importantly of all i noticed that pressure was causing an inordinate amount of nervous ticks i.e cleaning the mouthpiece, shuffling valves, BLOWING WATER during every rest! I've made a concerted a effort to stop and it has decreased tension significantly.

Have any of you lot had similar experiences?

B.U.M.

2. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, BUM!

It sounds to me like you're nervous! I've been known (especially when I was younger) to do some of the things you describe, especially the clearing condensation from the horn, "fiddling" with the valves, etc.

The more experienced you become, the more at ease you will be with your performance, and the less nervous energy you will be expending. I suspect that I still blow water more often than Herseth, and fiddle with my valves (especially on one horn I have whose valves are sometimes sticky), and scratch, etc... but I am able to sit still much better than I was when I was starting out.

I've overcome much of my nerves by simply concentrating on the music. Forget about the audience, if that helps and just make beautiful music, and you'll be fine!

Hope that works for you!!!

Guy Clark
    South Bay Brass
    Silicon Valley Brass Band - A Traditional British Brass Band

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yup! Relaxation can start with holding the instrument with relaxed fingers...

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    VB, that's rather an interesting observation - when I used to think I could play golf, the pretty young professional who gave me lessons had me take the club, address the ball, and then very, very deliberately relax the fingers - and it made a huge difference. (The tension may not have been caused by the golf though ;-)).