Practice routine survey

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lukejackson, Jul 9, 2011.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    1. Jazz trumpet. I was a music education major in college, but switched to another major after 3 years. I play in a working jazz combo, but my primary means of support has always been in something other than music.

2. About 25 years of playing experience, played for 20+ years, took 15 years off, now 3 years into my comeback.

3. My practice routine is always evolving. Right now it's 60 to 90 minutes a day, every day, except on gig days. I try to break it up between music, chop-building, and technical studies. I take at least a 15 minute break between each section, and rest as much as I play.
    - Warmup - (2-5 minutes) based on the Schlossberg mouthpiece warmup, except that I do this on the trumpet, not just on the mouthpiece.
    - Maintenance (20 minutes) - mouthpiece buzzing, flow studies, lip slurs, tonguing. I keep things light here, and don't push anything too much.
    - Music (30 minutes) - memorize and practice jazz standards and other music.
    - Chops (15 - 30 minutes) - some combination of lip slurs, placement exercises, flow studies, and tonguing exercises.
    - Technical (15 - 30 minutes) - scales, arpeggios, and jazz patterns.

4. As a comeback player, I've found that my appetite is sometimes bigger than my abilities. So my biggest challenge has been to take it slow, to be content with steady progress, and to not push my playing beyond the point of diminishing returns. I've also learned that even at 50 years old, a private teacher is a great help. Finally, I've learned that, for me, music is more for fun when I'm playing for myself (not for teachers, band directors, or to pay the mortgage).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    1. Trumpet theory and lore.

2. One year plus a few months.

3. I spend a half an hour to an hour exploring the TM site, make a few (hopefully funny) postings and then think about what I've learned :)roll:). Then, a few hours of face time on the horn. Long tones, lip slurs, Caruso calisthenics, and songs.

4. More face time and less typing time improves the speed of your progess.:play:

Turtle

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Ha, thank you for the concern. I get this all the time from the people that I don't wanna be like. People who wind up teaching kids who don't give a crap or people who sit behind a desk all day. I know cats who got their performance degrees and went on to conservatoires for their masters and they do just fine doing a lot of free lance work (composition, arranging, gigging, lessons) and working odd jobs. I really don't mind that. I know a cat who did that that for a long time and now he works at a university as the jazz studies head. I did a lot of thinking before I marked up for the performance degree. What I realized was that I didn't wanna be like any of the people I knew getting education degrees or philosophy degrees or history degrees; I wanted to be like those cats with the performance degrees. For me, I just love these people man. I love my scene. I love the cats who knew it maybe "pre-unemployment" and did it anyways. The cat I know who didn't get a degree? Well, he is giggin, and he is playing great music, but he isn't teaching at a college. My point being that my major is useful, and with the right networking and a little luck, I am gonna enjoy the hell out of life.

4. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    What the heck is a cat? (I'm assuming not a feline). :-)

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    62 yrs old - play in one big band, one community band and in church [used to play in several big bands, a quintet and a very busy clown band -Circle City Sidewalk Stompers]. practice 5-6 days a week - practice consists of Vizzutti Book #1 scales and a couple of etudes, Thiecke book page 11 and then several of his exercises, about 5 minutes of long tones and then some tunes [maybe play along CDs or just music alone]. Have found that the older I get I must practice just to maintain.

6. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Straight from Pops. :-)
    Murrow: Louie, I've been meaning to ask you this. What's the meaning of a "cat"?
    Armstrong: Cat? Cat can be anybody from the guy in the gutter to a lawyer, doctor, the biggest man to the lowest man, but if he's in there with a good heart and enjoy the same music together, he's a cat.

Myszolow likes this.
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm diggin on your sequence here:

guy in the gutter to a lawyer, doctor
    biggest man to the lowest man

biggest man (guy in the gutter) to the lowest man (doctor)

Ya, I think you got it just about right!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'd say that your dogs are getting in more practice than you --- I'm guessing if your dogs were to answer.
    3. let Gary pet us.......Let Gary pet us...........let Gary pet us........Let Gary pet us.........let Gary pet us......
    4. watch Gary,AND harmonize with him no matter how bad his 14A4a sounds, and make Gary happy that he thinks we are harmonizing with him ---- This is the way Gary will pet usROFLROFLROFL

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Would love to take the time to write a witty comment in reply, but I have to go out and walk my dogs now. I REALLY MEAN THIS!

Signing off... Ok Ok Jazz, don't lift your leg, I'm coming, I'm coming, here I have the leash right here. No don't........................

I'm outta hear!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I knew it was true -- dogs can train humansROFLROFLROFL
    c'mon Gary it's time for you to get some exercise -- "hey Jazz it is your turn to fake the old guy out -- pretend you have to pee ---He needs some fresh air"ROFLROFLROFL