Practice routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by resonator, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Manny - You can find "Excercises Journaliers" at the following web site

http://www.somusic.com/Trumpet Etudes.htm

Published by Billaudot of course. It's kindof Maurice's version of Schlossberg. It was put together by Maurice's student Vicente Lopez. Not cheap though at around $ 45 but probably a must have for everyone's library though.

Seth Moore
    N

2. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I laughed about your comment about jazz players. A few years back I had a long conversation with Art Farmer. My wife said to him how she thought trumpet players were so creative. He laughed and said we have to spend so much time just maintaining our technique there's no time to be creative. Though it was partly a joke it was also partly true.
    About warmups, remember Jacobs always maintained there was no physical necessity to warm up, something Barbara Butler reiterated. (Sometime if anyone wants to know I'll relate offlist my first lesson with her). There may be a psychological necessity, but not a physical one. If you play every day you can't really hurt yourself if you don't warm up. I agree that you ned to plan practice and what you want to accomplish-as one teacher put it, "he who aims at nothing will hit it every time." But while an hour a day might be enough to maintain your chops I don't think it enough to improve them greatly. Two yes, especially if you're performing a lot. Doc said two hours was good enough to conquer any problem you might have. Cat Anderson did four whether he was performing or not. To quote Clarke, don't waste your time on things that are easy, concentrate on what is hard, whatever that might be.
    I agree that a lesson every other week or so is fine for mature students, but definitely not for those 18 and below!

My $.02

Michael McLaughlin

3. thetrumpetmaster

thetrumpetmaster New Friend

Nov 3, 2005
    trpt2345, I am not sure I agree with that last statement on how weekly or bi-weekly lessons aren't appropriate for those 18 and younger. I am 18, going to be a sophomore in college (yeah, I'm a youngin'), and have taken weekly lessons since I was in 7th grade. Here and there I would go a few weeks without one or whatever, but mostly I had regular weekly lessons. I don't see what could possibly be harmful about that. Ideally it keeps a "young kid" playing every day, performing every week, and hearing a more experienced player every week. Sounds good to me!

Julian Kaplan
    University of Kentucky

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I'm not talking about someone with a weekly lesson who occasionally skips one. I have had parents who for economic reasons want lessons every other week and here's generally what happens: after the lesson, the kid thinks, hey, I don't have a lesson for two weeks, I don't have to practice for a while. Then a week goes by, and he or she thinks, well, I should start practicing one of these days, and then the weekend comes and then about Sunday night they panic and start playing and don't nearly have enough time to get done everything by Tuesday or Wednesday or whenever the lesson is. The pressure of the weekly timeframe generally keeps the pressure on to practice.
    However, I have had adult students with good work habits who have had great success with less than weekly lessons. But I don't recommend it for kids. This comes from years of experience. I also don't let parents double up, have two of their kids take lessons at the same time to "save".

Michael McLaughlin

" 'I have done that', says my memory. 'I cannot have done that', says my pride and remains inexorable. Eventually-memory yields." Nietzsche

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i have been liking the vizzutti method (volumes one and two more then three) and new concepts as a quick way to get through a lot of the fundementals of playing.

i also like a suggestion that fred sautter gave at a session at midwest several years ago, he called it the "key for the day" instead of doing things in a bunch of different keys to concentrate on a key do scale studies, clarke, even tonguing (also gets transposition practice in) in the same key, the next day go to the relative minor etc. if one key give you fits spend more then a day on it. i find that this really helped me get more focused on the fundementals practice.

as others have said practice fundementals everyday, then music. i know i once did the reverse and fell on my butt in performance.

6. thetrumpetmaster

thetrumpetmaster New Friend

Nov 3, 2005
    I'm sorry trpt2345, I simply misread your first post. I thought it had said "weekly lessons are good for mature students but not 18 and younger" haha...Sorry about that. But yeah, I definitely agree with you now!

Julian Kaplan
    University of Kentucky

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Phil Farkas wrote that the third hour of practice brought him the most improvement, but he was never able to find any way of skipping the first two hours.