Practice Routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BobtheBigFoot, Aug 3, 2011.

1. BobtheBigFoot

BobtheBigFoot New Friend

May 15, 2011
    I'm going to ask my private lesson teacher about this, but I thought I would aquire some outside imput as well. What are your ideas of a good practice routine? I get stumped on this all the time. I find myself so ready to practice my trumpet, i find a practice room, and then I'm stumped. I've been playing my trumpet for about eight years now, and i still don't have a set routine and I think i Have deffenently waited too long to ask this question.

I also am not that strong of a player and have some endurance problems (I think some of this has to be due to me playing so far in the pink).

Any thoughts?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thoughts??? YES -- keep it simple to develop a routine.
    go through all 12 scales with arpeggios -- use long tones - (at least whole notes, or longer) then do scales in double, then triple tongue, then skip every other note and do it again -- hitting the ones you skipped on the way down.
    slur each valve combination (ie. open, then 1st valve, 2nd valve, 1+2, 2+3, 1+3, 1+2+3)
    that should be a good warmup -- get rest between sets for a few minutes.

then do more long tones scales (up an octave or 2 if you can)

rest --- and try to play a few tunes in there to develop musicality -- and your own sound.
    that should get you started ---sounds boring but it will work

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good question for your teacher, as you said. But it's also nice to know what others do.

I break down my daily routine into 3 parts of about 30 minutes each.
    1. I work on music (making music is the bottom line).
    2. I work on my chops (lips slurs, placement studies, lyrical studies, tonguing).
    3. I work on technical studies (scale studies, jazz patterns, Clarke).
    Mike

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    All of my students start by getting "in the mood". First come long tones on the mouthpiece then horn, after that, lipslurs, then scales - single, double and triple tongued. That is followed by tunes - music - the reason that we are playing. After the tunes come technical studies. The time is divided up 1/3 preparation, 1/3 tunes, 1/3 technical studies.Anything over 2 hours is dedicated to tunes.