Practice Schedule

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PaigeBurnett, Jan 8, 2012.

1. PaigeBurnett

PaigeBurnett New Friend

Nov 18, 2011
    Better to practice for longer periods of time, less frequently. Or shorter periods of time, more frequently ?

2. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    That's vague, but likely shorter more frequently. Give your muscles time to relax and develop.

3. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    I think it would really depend on how long you have been playing or what level you are at.However, as above, always make sure you rest in between practicing.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is necessary to practice long enough to give your body and brain a chance to absorb what you are trying to learn. I think that 20 minutes is really the absolute minimum and with decent practice habits, an hour straight can be extremely productive.

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    There is no absolute time as a rule of thumb. But, here are some guidelines have found by reading everything I could get my hands on. One hour per sitting is enough. Even if you can do more, there are mental focus issues and as my teacher would say "the trumpet is really a mind game." Superimposed or superceeding that rule, when your chops are tired or your lips start getting puffy and you are blowing air, put the horn down and rest for "at least" as long as you have practiced, then start again.

I hope this helps.

BrotherBACH

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012